New RAID Setup

edited March 2007 in Hardware
I have a PC with an [SIZE=-1]Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe bios ver. 1013... 1GB RAM
I have disconnected my IDE drive and installed two Western Digital 400GB SATA drives to the OnBoard SATA connectors booted to the Raid Configuration Utility by pressing F4 and I choose Manual setup, RAID 0 striped chunk size 128K then I hit Y when it asked me if I was sure and I cannot tell if it is doing anything and it seems as though it is stuck for I am unable to move the up and down arrows...Is it just doing its thing and takes time? Or is it stuck and should try something else? It's been on that screen for about 3 hours now.

These are brand new drives and plan on doing a new XP install. The RAID utility is SiI 3112a. The disc that came with the motherboard doesn't have diskette drivers for floppy, well none that I saw.
Does anyone have any input?
Thanks for your time, Ron.
[/SIZE]

Comments

• mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    I could be wrong, but I think the RAID utility on that board will format both disks by default when creating an array, and I think I remember having to tell it not to if I didn't want to wait like an hour, that was for two 120GB drives.
  • edited March 2007
    mas0n wrote:
    I could be wrong, but I think the RAID utility on that board will format both disks by default when creating an array, and I think I remember having to tell it not to if I didn't want to wait like an hour, that was for two 120GB drives.

I did put back my IDE drive and rebooted leaving the sata drives in and they show up in the Disk Management. Then I powered down and took out the IDE and redid the RAID setup and still gets stuck right after it sets the RAID, so I am going to leave it at that screen till tomorrow and assume that it is doing a low level format and is going to take some time. 2 400GB drives will take awhile. I will let you know what happens tomorrow, thanks for your input.
  • edited March 2007
    I let it sit all night and still stuck at that screen.
    I bought a SATA controller card for the PCI slot, hopefully that will do it.
    I should disable the onboard RIAD when using a controller card?
  • edited March 2007
    Ok, I got it working.
    Got one other problem though.
    I have an external Firewire/usb hard drive and I found that I need to shut it down in order to reboot back to the desktop otherwise it just hangs at the RAID part of the POST.
    This does not happen when I have the Firewire connection only on the USB.
    I would rather use the USB connection, does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it?
    Thanks again for your time.