vista premium free, should i install?

TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
edited April 2007 in Science & Tech
i got my hp lap top for christmas and it had a thing to send in the mail and then i will get mailed windows vista premium................

thing is, i dont know if i want it.......... i hear so much talk about "oo its great" "oo it sucks", "it dont support a lot of things" so i really dont know what to do.....

so i was thinking i leave my bran new lap top with xp and install vista on my desktop computer, but i dont know if that computer will run it...... the computer is like either 02-03 and it has a pentium 4, 1gb of ram, 80gb hdd plus 250gb external and some crappy graphics im assuming........... but i wanted to reformate that computer and just put vista on it.......... will that computer run vista premium?

i was also wondering, at the stores they have all the windows vista (basic, premium, ultimate) in an upgrade package and then a full page for like double the money.........

so ultimate was like 250-300$ but then it said full for like 400$

so say you buy the full one will it still only work in one computer?

Comments

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    i got the same thing when i got my xp MCE- send it in and get the vista home premium
    i love it the only issue i am working on is Roxio easy cd creator 9 wont work other than that its great
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Do not install Vista. On either computer.

Especially the desktop.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    At this point, I would recommend against Vista until driver and application support are more mature. It feels a lot like WinME, to be perfectly honest :(
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    The opinions here are completely valid. This reminds me of the early days of Windows 2000. Lack of driver support, system crippled by high requirements. Only for the brave oh Win2k was :ninja:

... for the moment, leave Vista alone. When it matures (which is will eventually).. go ahead. Then it might be worth it :)
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited April 2007
    just send the stupid thing in anyway, and then get vista. you dont necessarily have to install it right away. lol

btw im on Vista Home Premium and I havent really seen much of a difference to XP other then Horrible System requirements (sometimes it chugs along like an old steam train) and fancy software cosmetics

would i choose vista over XP? i dunno flip a coin. lol
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    using vista is like taking ur chances with a las vegas call girl, U might come out unscathed or u might catch something