Sunbeamtech Perspex Case Review

sociable-nomadsociable-nomad New Zealand - The land of the long white cloud
edited April 2007 in Hardware
Having never built a system before and being completely new to the game, I decided to go the whole hog and get a “blingtastic” case. After a little thought and ALOT of shopping I decided to settle on the Sunbeamtech Perspex line of cases (I opted for the UV blue variety). After battling with the thing for a couple of hours I thought I’d put my thoughts to writing and include a few tricks/traps that I found along the way. So, here we go:

Upon opening the packaging the contents are very well protected from scratching and damage. All the smaller components (drive bay covers and smaller) are contained in a small box and individually packaged in labeled zip lock bags. Your also provided with a pair of cotton gloves to prevent fingerprinting (more on these ‘beauties’ in a moment). Paper wise there’s a parts list with pictures of everything which makes life nice and easy and the instructions.

Before you start figure out how much space you’ll need and double it, I was forever shuffling pieces about like one of those little slide games while working on a large office type desk. Also, it pays to cover your work surface (no matter ho clean) with a cotton sheet, it helped prevent scratching to the case.

Now it’s time to don your supplied gloves. These come in a delightful ‘one size too small’, I swear whoever these were made for was either a midget or inbreed (perhaps both?) the fingers ended part way to my second knuckle and barely covered the palm of my hand, thus allowing ample space for the webbing between our inbreed’s fingers. Another thing I noticed was how they made opening of the many small zip lock bags something akin to stapling jello to the window. After a little trial and error (and a few profanity’s) I figured a way of using a screwdriver to pry the baggies open.

All in all the construction was rather straight forward, occasionally a little ‘constructive force’ was required to allow some of the predrilled holes to match up, but nothing too serious. The worst being fitting the metal back plate to the case, the holes in the Perspex were way out on the bottom two screws but with a little bravery and force I managed to get them to fit. One thing to bear in mind while putting the drive bays in, Id recommend constructing the internal pieces and fit them to the top and bottom afterwards as I had trouble getting the screwdriver into position when doing it the way the instructions suggested. Also, don’t tighten up all the outside screws until you have everything in position, otherwise you have to loosen everything up to apply the aforementioned constructive force.

Overall Id say they do a pretty tight kit for the price, especially if someone as technically inept as myself can put it together. So if your looking for a Perspex case to show off your digital finery or just something you can fill with enough lighting products to signal the international space station, Id recommend the Sunbeamtech line of cases