New System Won't Work!

TakeTheVailTakeTheVail Los Anjealous
edited April 2007 in Hardware
First off, hi everyone! I was referred here by a former member (astroworp, who says hi) who has completely lost touch with the hardware world and recommended I stop by here to see if you could help me with the new system I've built for myself. He always had a good time with you guys.

Basically, the problem is that the only thing that happens when I press the power button is the fans whir up for a brief moment and stop... nothing else happens at all and I don't know what the issue is. I'm lead to believe it's a problem with the core of my system, perhaps compatibility issues with the processor and motherboard? If anyone has an idea, please let me know!

Here is the configuration:

Foxconn NF4SLI7AA-8KRS2 LGA 775 nForce4 SLI SPP Intel Edition
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13Ghz LGA 775 (Model BX80557E6400)
Rosewill RP500-2 ATX 2.01 500W PSU

I've narrowed it down to being an issue with the above components because with just those things plugged in and nothing else, it still gives the same scenario. I'd be happy to give the rest of the system configuration if you're curious, but I think it may just be compatibility issues between the motherboard and the processor.

I really do thank you all in advance for whatever help you can give me, and look forward to hearing your suggestions!

Thanks and take it easy!

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Okay. We'll take you through some trouble shooting steps :)

First, welcome to Short-Media!

Then, I want you to look in the case... we need to see if the motherboard is getting power. When the system is plugged in and the power supply is switched on, there should be a green (usually) light on the motherboard itself (alomst always in the vicinity of the expansion slots, but could be elsewhere). Check for that light, and report back. That will tell us which direction to go first off.

;)
  • TakeTheVailTakeTheVail Los Anjealous
    edited April 2007
    I (we) couldn't find any such light. I checked Foxconn's website for schematics, but found none. The in-box diagram did little to help also.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    You can't find the LED at all? That's strange.

I found this picture of your motherboard. Can confirm that this is what your board looks like?

I don't see a LED either, but it's not the best picture... I looked around for a diagram, but couldn't find one myself, either...

Could someone else chime in here? Is it possible that TakeTheVail has a MoBo that doesn't have a power LED? I've never heard of a MoBo being produced without one, but if it's that hard to find... :/

In the mean time, double check all of your power connections. Especially make sure that you have both the 24-pin ATX connector, and the 4-pin CPU connector attached, and clipped securely into place.
    edited April 2007
    That is my motherboard. We looked for the light while it was plugged in and also when we would push the on button (as the fans would start to rotate then die).
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Disconnect everything and take the mobo out of the case. Put the mobo on a piece of cardboard. Install the CPU and cooler, memory and video card. Connect the power supply. Make sure that the CPU cooler is connected to the correct fan header.
    Short the power switch pins with a screw driver.
    Does it start?
    edited April 2007
    I did exactly as you suggested and still nothing. The fans spin for a fraction of a second, then nothing again.