50% CPU Utilization? Ummm... in need of duallie help

VicodinVicodin Chicago
edited June 2003 in Folding@Home
SO I got the inkling, sprinkled some magic fairy dust and Presto! dual 2400+'s in a Tyan board appeared.

Now how do I properly configure this so I can add to my meager contribution.

It's on there now, but it doesn't seem to be using the dualness of it all.

Directions on how to install a second instance of folding would be greatly appreciated...

...and type slow, I'm a simple man who gets easily confused.

(smile)

Fold on.

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Dude..

It's this really complicated setup for dualies....

Run two instances of the client :cool::nudge:
  • edited June 2003
    It's real easy to do, vicodin. Just set up another folder named differently from the first instance(I name my folders folding1, folding2, etc) and set up another instance of the console client. When you configure this new instance, set everything up the same way as your first instance except give it ID #2, since the first instance should be ID #1. Then go ahead and make a shortcut to start it like you would the first instance and use the flags that you normally use on the first instance. Then go ahead and start the second instance up and presto, you will have both procs folding. Since the client is not smp aware, you have to have 2 instances running at the same time to utilize both processors. That's why with only 1 instance running, you only see 50% utilization because the other proc is doing nothing except burn electricity.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    Oh and the second client MUST be the console. The first can be the GUI or console but the second one has the be the console since there is no machine ID option in the GUI. Its always one.
  • VicodinVicodin Chicago
    edited June 2003
    Wow, all the big dogs came to my rescue.

Big, in the figurative sense - no offense, Shorty.

(cough)

Okay, I'll get this working... maybe then I can make a realistic run at top 5.

It's disheartening to see things like...

OVERTAKE DATE : Sep 30, 2014 03:00AM

I'm coming for you swettz...

then gmackey...

then the world!

Fold on.
    edited June 2003
    Poor shorty.

Go get 'em Vic. You no longer have my lab nipping at your heals anymore.
  • VicodinVicodin Chicago
    edited June 2003
    Aside from that weird day where it got within 300 pts of the weekly production, it wasn't really ever 'nipping'.

Maybe 'sniffing'.

'Trying to make out the figure off in the distance'

...but my heels were pretty safe.

What happened to it though?
    edited June 2003
    Oh yes it was 'nipping'. UVJVS_Lab actually passed you a few hours. Then they got shut off for Spring break or a new core that couldnt update or something. But the lab was ahead of you.

Well school is over now and down went the lab. The lab is being redone and all the computers moved down the hall so they are not even on. Before school starts next year they will have totally new images on them so no more folding for them.:(

It was a good ride tho. Got to 10th place.
    edited June 2003
    HOLY cow Vic. 1k per day now. That duelie sure does help.