New comp no post

edited April 2007 in Hardware
Hey people,

Just built my new comp using a ASUS P5B mobo, Intel P core 2 duo E6300, MSI nsx7600GT grfx card and 2x 1028Gb 800Mhz ram.(hard drive and DVD burner attached too and using a 480w psu)

Everything powers up great with all the fans turning but the screen doesn't detect an input signal. I am also not getting any beeps. I checked all my cables, re-installed most of the components, search multiple threads and checked everything they've suggested. Yes my power cables are both connected to the motherboard, I have tried disconecting all non vital components but still "no input"!

I then though it could be the RAM and so I unistalled that and started the computer back up again. I got some beeps which were 1 long and 2 quick repeated. (Think this must be for the RAM since the only repeated pattern I can find on-line is for the memory. When I re-installed the memory and disconnected the graphics hoping to hear a different set of beeps I got nothing.

I am not a novice but been out of hardware for a while but I have built a few computers in the past.

Bit stumped really so if anyone can help please do :smiles:

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Has this mobo ever booted?
    You did reset the BIOS right?

Is it in the case? Yes, then take it out. I always make sure that the bare system will boot before I bother putting it in the case. CPU, one stick of memory, and the video card.

If no boot then your mobo may be DOA.
    Do you have another video card to try?
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    First thing I would do is reseat the CPU and graphics card, then try to power up again. If no go, then try to power up without any IDE or SATA drives attached and see what you get. If still nothing, borrow another graphics card if you can and swap it out, see what happens.

I am not familiar with that motherboard, make sure it doesn't need a BIOS flash in order to support your CPU, most times there will be a sticker on the BIOS chip with the version number it shipped with.
  • edited April 2007
    Brand spanking new mobo so no its never booted and yeah I tried to reset the CMOS.
    It is in the case since it never struck me to try it before installing it? daft I suppose.

Unfortunately I don't have another graphics card to try since my old comp is a laptop.

I have tried reseating the graphics and the cpu today since I though it could be the case but they are both, sorry, they both seem seated fine.

Can't seem to find the BIOS chip to check if it needs a BIOS flash but I imagine something like that would be stated in the manual and I have read that about 50 times to try and find sommething I might have missed?

thiniking about it I could try and "borrow" a graphics card from someone for saturday. I guess I could try that and at least it will point me in the right direction.

I just find it strange that the mobo powers up and gives feedback when I take out the memory but not when I take out the graphics? Surely it should (according to the manual) give a beep code anyway? oh and I know the monitor works since tried it out.

Puzzled!:confused:
  • AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited April 2007
    I went through a scenario very similar to this a few months ago, the only difference was it was an intel mobo. I tried all of these suggestions, and in the end it turned out that the mobo did not have the driver for the ram. I just got a new mobo and everything worked fine. Definitely try the video card thing, and if you can, try different ram. Good luck
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    what brand memory is it?
  • edited April 2007
    Hey,

The memory is MDT brand. Never heard of it before but I am not looking for a super comp, just a decent one.

I bought the components in France so I think the brand is German?

Will try the video tommorrow night so will update you then

cheers
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    May want to try 1 stick of the RAM at a time and try all the slots.
  • edited April 2007
    Bad news for the grfx card. The other comp I was going to use has an onboard grfx card (yeah its old).

I will try the memory like you said tonight and hope for the best.

I was installing 1 stick with just the grfx and cpu but tried just 1 of the sticks and only tried it in Channel 1 slot 1.

Can anyone explain the reason for the beep codes when there isn't any memory but none when its all installed? Surely this means the mobo is still alive and kicking?

Cheers
  • edited April 2007
    Just thought about trying my grfx card in the other comp but it only has a AGP slot and no PCIEx16.

Might be able to try it in a different system tonight though.
  • edited April 2007
    Smashing Mason, you have the answer. I am not sure why but I never thought of checkign the RAM in each slot. First of all I understood that the ram had to be placed in Channel 1 bus 1 and Channel 2 bus 1 so that its balanced? I have the RAM now in channel 1 bus 2 and channel 2 bus 1 and all seems happy. Just now I can't access BIOS because my USB keyboard isn't recognised so looks like I will have to wait a bit longer but at least the stress is over

Thanks to everyone who wrote in with your help and I suggest to everyone who has the same symptoms to check the memory in EACH slot.

Cheers again