PHP Related -> REGEX

IamMrRayIamMrRay Otis, MA
edited May 2007 in Internet & Media
I want to improve my REGEX kung-fu, does anyone know of any books that specializes totally within this subject?

Or just a good tutorial perhaps. I looked on google for a while but the best stuff I could really find was the manual itself, and I didn't totally get it for some reason. Maybe reading about it will help me out.

So, anyone know of such a book?

(I could have looked on the web, but I rather get a first hand opinion rather than risking reading a review from an online store where good reviews could have been purposely planted there).(yes, over paranoia, but I really want to get good at it, so I take it sorta seriously)

Comments

• IamMrRayIamMrRay Otis, MA
    edited April 2007
    so I guess what I am meaning to request is, based on your opinions--a list of links to either tutorials or actual books that I would end up buying; that you read and believe to be the best de facto of learning every minute technique of REGEX.

And I guess you can indeed call me lazy for requesting such a thing, but I thought it was worth a shot to just read the best and leave the rest.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited April 2007
    Go to Barnes and Noble or some other bookstore and see if there are any books available. What reads easy for me might not read easy for you, and vice-versa so just go find a book that fits you.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    This is what you seek. That O'Reilly text is widely regarded to be the best authority on regular expressions. If you read that whole thing and understand it, you will be a REGEX Jedi Master of epic proportions. It assumes basic knowledge already.
  • IamMrRayIamMrRay Otis, MA
    edited May 2007
    Many thanks! I just read in time because I'm nearing where I'll be using this on a very large scale.

Oh, also between now and next week I'm going to have some good news for the folding team ;) so stay tuned.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Another tip: I recommend becoming fluent in PHP's Perl-compatible regular expressions rather than the POSIX ones. I find them more useful in general. :)