Windows failing to boot after 3112a BIOS upgrade

edited April 2007 in Hardware
Hi there,

Stumbled upon these forums whilst trying to find a solution on google, so thought I'd give it a try here too. Here it goes:

I updated my add-on PCI card 3112a BIOS to the latest from the SI website, version 4.2.8.3 iirc. Problem is, following that update on the next reboot Windows failed to boot. I get a black screen after the usual POST screens instead of the the usual Windows XP running progress bar screen.

I thought maybe the BIOS upgrade fiddled with partition and drive orders so Windows may have gotten confused with which drive it was on. This wasn't the end of the world because it was just a temporary install - so I booted from CD, started installing Windows, wiped the partition where the old Windows was, and reinstalled onto it. After the initial setup and reboot, I was unpleasantly greeted by the same black screen.

I heard the drive working for a split second though, so I tried pressing F8, and yes Windows gave me the menu with all the options like Safe Mode. I tried all the options that made any sense - Safe Mode, Last Known Good Config, Debugger, everything - and after I hit enter it just sits there and hangs on that screen instead of plain black. This tells me that the motherboard IS booting from the right drive, but I have no clue what is going on after that, since it booted fine before the BIOS upgrade. Being totally confused, I took yet another drive that had never had Windows on it and tried installing onto that, and yes, same black screen.

Does anyone have any ideas on what's happening, why, and if there is a way of fixing it other than downgrading the BIOS?

Thanks in advance!

Oh yes, I think it might be relevant to add that I'm using an Abit NF7 (not the -S version with onboard 3112a SATA).