Anyone using a TV for a monitor?

MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
edited May 2007 in Hardware
I just ordered a Viewsonic N3252W that I plan to use primarily as a monitor. I have read a few reviews that indicate this tv works well as a monitor, but wondered if S-M folks have experience with using a tv as a monitor.

If yes, what brand/model are you using, what type of connection are you using (15 pin D-sub, DVI to HDMI, or ?) and what video card are you using?

Here are the tv specs:
LCD Type 32" color TFT active matrix, wide LCD
Display Area 27.5" horizontal x 15.4" vertical; 32" diagonal
Native Resolution 1366x768
Contrast Ratio 1000:1 (typ)
Viewing Angles 170° horizontal, 170° vertical
Response Time 8ms
Light Source Long life, 50,000 hrs. (typ)
Brightness 550 cd/m2 (typ)
Aspect Ratio 16:9
Glass Surface Anti-glare, anti-reflective coat
INPUT PC RGB analog (75 ohms, 0.7 Vp-p)
TV TV/cable, composite (RCA), component YPbPr/YCbCr, S-video
Audio 3.5mm mini stereo audio in/out and RCA (left/right) audio in
RGB Frequency Fh: 30~64kHz, Fv: 60~75Hz
Sync H/V separated (TTL)
Digital HDMI (with HDCP and audio support)
Tuner ATSC/NTSC
AUDIO OUPUT Speakers 2x10-watt Dolby® Digital sound
INPUT SIGNALS TV/Video Comp. 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i
COMPATIBILITY PC 1360x768 (preferred), 1024x768, 1280x768
Mac®** Power Mac™ G3/G4/G5 up to 1280x1024
CONNECTOR Analog 15-pin mini D-sub (VGA)
Digital HDMI
Power 3-pin plug
POWER Voltage AC 90-240V (universal), 47-63Hz
Consumption 150W (typ)
CONTROLS Basic Power, enter, channel +/-, volume +/-, menu
OnView® (PC Mode) Auto adjust, contrast, brightness, H. position, V. position, H. size, fine tune, aspect ratio, information, text/graphic mode, color temperature
(Video Mode) Picture (contrast, brightness, color, tint, sharpness, aspect ratio, color temperature), sound (volume, balance, bass, treble, input menu (TV, AV, S-video, YCbCr, YPbPr, HDMI, VGA), parental control (caption, change password, TV ratings, MPAA movie ratings, V-chip temporary disable), PIP (input, POP, mode disable, audio, SWAP, size/position), set up (OSD H/V position), time out, transparency, OSD color, language, memory recall)
(TV Mode) MTS, TV/CATV, auto scan, set channel, channel delete, label, favorite, fine tune
OPERATING CONDITIONS Temperature 32-104°F (0-40°C)
Humidity 10-65% (non-condensing)
VESA® MOUNT 200mm x 400mm
DIMENSIONS
(W x H x D) Physical (mm) 808mm x 646mm x 210mm(with stand)
808mm x 574mm x 118mm (without stand)
Physical (in) 31.8" x 25.4" x 8.3"(with stand)
31.8" x 22.6" x 4.6" (without stand)
PACKAGE CONTENTS LCD TV display, power cable(s), remote control with batteries, VGA cable, RCA A/V cable, Quick Start Guide, User Guide

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    For a HTPC or an everyday monitor? For everyday use, I don't think it's high res enough. For an HTPC, it's pretty good. I connected my laptop to our 32" LG LCD and it looked okay.
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited April 2007
    Black Hawk wrote:
    As a monitor for a HTPC or an everyday monitor? For everyday use, I don't think it's high res enough. For an HTPC, it's pretty good. I connected my laptop to out 32" LG LCD and it looked okay.
    I plan to use it for every day use. My wife has fairly poor vision so I was hoping the larger 32" screen would make using the computer easier for her. She doesn't use the computer alot so hopefully it will be okay.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited April 2007
    I recently bought a 42inch plasma that has a VGA input. I'd like to get the cable so I can use it for gaming, wireless mouse and pad means couch comfort. I know it'd be at a lower resolution but the big screen would be nice. I currently have a 19 inch Iiyama which is <2 foot from my nose.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    It sounds like it'll work for your purpose, MrBill. I think for the typical person around here, though, the resolution isn't high enough. I have a 32" LCD TV that does 1360x768, but I find the lack of screen real estate outweighs the large size.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Mr. Bill

I have a Viewsonic N3250W (older version of yours) and I used it on my pc for a bit. But as mentioned the 1366x768 resolution is not high enough for its size. Also I had serious ghosting with the VGA connection. This went mostly away when I connected DVI-HDMI, but still I was wishing it supported 1920x1080 res when using it as a monitor.

The plus is yes u can see everything, even the pixels. Just make sure you are a good 3-4 ft away. Also not many people can say, yea I have a 32" monitor ;)

to bothered...I also tried hooking my pc up to my 42" LCD @ 1920x1080 and attempting the sitting on the couch. I dont know if my eyes going bad or not...but i had a hard time even viewing the text on web pages...it just wasnt big enough and I was maybe 10ft away!
    edited April 2007
    Thanks for the information guys. I guess I'll go ahead and order a DVI to HDMI cable. I already swapped out the 8500LE to a 9200SE so I would have a DVI connection on the video card in case the VGA was ultra-crappy.

From what I understand, this tv has 3 HDMI connectors so if/when/maybe I do get HD from Dish, I will have a connection available to use.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    I use my Plasma from time to time. It has full 1080 support so gaming and movies look fine through the VGA hookup, but the DVI to HDMI converter makes things look much better :) but overall a regular LCD for day to day use is needed.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    For people with poor sight the larger pixel size is usually helpful.
    Sitting 4-5' back from it it should look OK.
    You may need to play with the settings. Often TVs are too bright to use as monitors.

The other option is to buy an old Trinitron CRT monitor. they made 22" and 24". They aren't wide screen, but a CRT can be run in any resolution.

My Dad is using a wide screen Dell 24" LCD with the large icons and large font turned on. He is 82 and it works for him.
    edited April 2007
    Right now, she's using a 19" LCD running 1024x768 resolution and the icons/text are almost too small for her. I was hoping the larger screen might help even at a lower resolution than any of us would typically use. She doesn't spend a lot of time on the computer anyway and to justify the cost, I went with a tv instead of a monitor only. I found some pretty decent prices on 22" widescreen lcd flat panel monitors, but I didn't think the bang for the buck was justified in this case. 24" lcd flat panel monitors take a big jump in price from the 22" version - actually about the same price range as the 32" tv I bought.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    MrBill

have your tried 120dpi under display properties instead of the default 96dpi? That will make everything bigger, including icons and text, while staying at the default resolution..
    edited April 2007
    fatcat6 wrote:
    MrBill

have your tried 120dpi under display properties instead of the default 96dpi? That will make everything bigger, including icons and text, while staying at the default resolution..
    Yeah, I tried it just a few days ago, but it made some of the text wrap....like around the icons and stuff. Just looked really weird and I didn't want her asking me a bunch of questions as to why it was different. I may have to try some other things if the tv doesn't work out.

It's kinda weird. Some days she can see things I can't and other days she can't hardly stand to look at a computer monitor because it makes her nauseous.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I might end up trying that again. :)
    edited April 2007
    I ordered a 10 ft. DVI<->HDMI cable from Newegg (by clicking the link here on S-M of course) so hopefully both the tv and cable will be delivered this week. I'm anxious to see how it works out...
  • nonstop301nonstop301 51° 27' 24.87&quot; N // 0° 11' 38.91&quot; W Member
    edited April 2007
    You will see the good results by using the DVI -> HDMI adpater cable you have ordered.

The only thing would perhaps give a better result is if you had a video card or motherboard with an integrated HDMI port on it too so you could connect the computer and the TV together with an HDMI cable directly rather than via an adapter.

I have a 42" plasma TV that I use with a computer but the TV only has a DVI port and no HDMI interface so I have a DVI - DVI connection between the TV and the computer. The results are all right but with HDMI they would be a lot better.
  • edited April 2007
    MrBill, I have a good friend that is legally (and almost there physically too) blind and he has been using a 32" LCD TV as a monitor for around a year now and it has been a godsend for him. He was using it at 1024 X 768 which made everything look funky on that widescreen but I got it to run at either 1280 X 768 or 1360 X 768 for him (don't remember which exactly) and he could still see the screen well and it corrected the funky look on the screen. As for the model, I think it is a black version of this Olevia model here. I'm almost positive he is using the analog sub-d input from his vid card and he doesn't watch tv so I can't say how well it works as a TV. These large screen LCD panel tv's are a real godsend for sight-impaired people as they can buy something affordable now that will let them use a computer again.
    edited April 2007
    I agree with muddocktor's comment and with a 16:9 screen you get the best results by selecting a 16:9 resolution from the computer's display properties (eg. 1280x720, 1360x768 or 1920x1080). Using the DVI to HDMI adapter cable at that such resoutions will give a better picture quality than the S-VGA analog connection.
    edited April 2007
    Well. the cable from Newegg was delivered today, but still no tv. I sent Buy.com an email and they said the order is lost. WTF!!! FedEx tracking doesn't ever show them picking it up so who lost it? Now I have to go through the claim process and all that BS.
  • edited April 2007
    Oh hell MrBill, I sure wish you would have posted up that you were going to buy that TV from those folks first. Their reselleratings are just terrible. I bought from them years ago and had decent service from them, but if you read the reviews I linked to you wouldn't order another thing from those folks. It's way too hit or miss with them for me to risk another penney dealing with them. There are just too many vendors out there that are proven to be reputable and not like Buy.com and their non-existent support.
    edited April 2007
    muddocktor wrote:
    Oh hell MrBill, I sure wish you would have posted up that you were going to buy that TV from those folks first. Their reselleratings are just terrible. I bought from them years ago and had decent service from them, but if you read the reviews I linked to you wouldn't order another thing from those folks. It's way too hit or miss with them for me to risk another penney dealing with them. There are just too many vendors out there that are proven to be reputable and not like Buy.com and their non-existent support.
    Mudd.....

I ordered from them because a friend of mine said he has ordered several items from them and they were at his door 2-3 days later. As for their customer support (via email), they have been responsive. After posting this and sending them another email as to what I wanted them to do with the "lost" order, they emailed me back and said the package isn't lost. Maybe the problem is/was with FedEx as now the tracking page shows entries for 4/10, 4/12 & 4/13 and shows my package leaving Canton, CA this morning. The expected arrival date has changed from 4/11 to 4/17. Hopefully, it will be here on or before that date. We'll see! :)

Thanks for reminding me to check reseller ratings.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited April 2007
    I have quite a bit of experience with TVs as monitors.

Currently I am using a Dell W4200HD (42" plasma) over VGA, and I could not be happier with the results.

Previously I tried a DVI connection, but had problems with resolutions, and the screen size being bigger than what the screen would show. It was ugly.

In my experience VGA is always the way to go.

ATI also makes a VGA to component adapter for their cards. It works as advertised, but the picture is not as clear.
    edited April 2007
    Also 1280x720 to be the easiest resolution to see, and wiorks best for gaming, movies etc.
    edited April 2007
    My wife called and said the tv was delivered today. Apparently FedEx thought the best way to get from Texas to Missouri was via CALIFORNIA! Oh well, now I just hope it works after the journey it's been on. :)

It figures I would be in the middle of a plumbing project the day it arrives. I wonder which my wife will consider more important - hooking up the new tv(monitor) or getting the new toilet installed. ;)
    edited April 2007
    It works!! Right now, I'm using the VGA cable and running 1280x720 resolution. 1368x768 seems to ghost a little. I might play with the DVI-HDMI cable and the 1368x768 resolution later on, but right now it looks great! Well.....good anyway. :)
  • edited April 2007
    That's great to hear, MrBill. I'm glad that Buy and Fedex didn't end up leaving you in online hell trying to get your new TV/monitor.
    edited April 2007
    This is not a good representation of how it really looks, but.....
  • edited May 2007
    There seem to be mixed views on using a VGA cable vs. a DVI-HDMI cable to connect a TV to a computer. I currently have my XPS Gen 2 hooked up to my 26" Samsung LCD TV via VGA and it looks pretty good at its highest resolution, 1366x768. I saw a DVI-HDMI cable at a nearby store today and thought about getting it, but I wanted to see if anyone more knowledgeable than me had any advice as to whether I should get one or not.
    edited May 2007
    All I can say is that with a DVI-DVI connection between my plasma TV and the computer, the results were poorer than what I expected. The plasma TV has no VGA or HDMI port on it but does have the Component jacks for HD viewing so I bought a DVI->Component cable and connected the computer to the TV with that and the result is a lot better now since it's using the HD capability of the TV.
    edited May 2007
    In theory DVI should look better. But the fact is, I cannot tell the difference at all on my plasma. Just better compatibility with resolutions.

Best you can do is try it, and find out. Hook em both up and change inputs back and forth to see which you like better.
  • edited May 2007
    Well, I got the cable and tried it. None too pleased with the results. Sure, it allowed me to set the resolution to 1080i and 720p and all that, but the image quality suffered. The pixels weren't of consistent size like they were with the VGA cable - it appeared like some rows were squashed to fit everything on the screen. So I might be doing a little experimentation with the cable, but chances are I'll just return it.
    edited May 2007
    Tansunn keep the windows resolution at 1280x720 and see whether the HDMI connection offers a better view than the VGA connection.
    The reason I use the HD capability of the TV is because on my plasma TV the DVI connection shows a poorer image at 1280x720 than the HD Component connection. I didn't connect the HD Component jacks in order to increase the resolution to 1360x768 or 1600x900 :)
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    yeh, lcd's have a native resolution if you try to run it at a higher or lower res than it was designed for then it's gonna look like crap, plain and simple. DVI-D is a digital signal, which means that there should be no signal/image degredation. I like it, it has more bandwidth and appears to give a better image than vga, but each to their own.