Overclocked, won't cold boot

gritzgritz Way out West
edited April 2007 in Hardware
:confused: I've read the A64 Overclocking guide, done the max cpu and max memory routines and come up with a balance that works pretty well .... that is until the next day on a cold boot when I start getting BSOD screens! At that point the only way to continue is to run my settings back down to a mild overclock and all is well. Would failing on a cold boot indicate that my memory might be unstable until it reaches warmer temperatures?

I haven't figured out how to add my signature line so here's roughly what I have: A64 X2 4400 CPU, 7900GT Graphics Card, Asus A8N-E mobo, 2 sticks of Kingston Value Ram 512MB ea, DDR400 3-3-3-8 (set manually) (I had 4 sticks but did not see any increase in performance so reduced it to 2) ... and I'm currently running at 2,420 mhz (normally 2,200). My psu is a Thermaltake TR2 430 Watt. Appreciate any guidance. :cool:

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2007
    If you can get it running stably at your target overclock, try a pass or two of Memtest-86. If it completes a full pass with no errors, it's not your memory.

If you do get errors then you'll know that it's the memory causing the bottleneck. At that point you might relax the memory timings and try it again. :)
  • gritzgritz Way out West
    edited April 2007
    Ahh ..... I hadn't tried Memtest86 at my target settings although I had used it extensively on the runups. I'll do that next week (midweek) when I get back in town .... thanks for the reply.