Vapor Phase Cooling Question!!

Ghaleon4Ghaleon4 South Oklahoma
edited April 2007 in Hardware
HEY GUYS!!! I haven't written anything in awhile...missed y'all!

I am SERIOUSLY looking into using the Asetek VapoChill Lightspeed Vapor cooling system on a computer that I hope to build in the next year. (Of course AMD hasn't released it yet, but it will be a Quad-Core AMD system...along with Quad-Core/SLI Nvidia BFG OC 8800GTX's).

What I'm dying to learn about, is whether I can cool multiple components using Phase Cooling with a single compressor unit...and if so...would it be difficult to do it with the Asetek solution I mentioned above? Or...if there's something completely different that I should look into? I've looked around, and haven't even found any commercially available evaporator blocks even designed for a GPU. In the end, I want the entire system including CPU, GPU, and perhaps memory/motherboard Chipset, to be Vapor Phase Cooled. Any ideas??

(And I'm NOT handy enough to build something on my own from scratch...)
Thanks guys!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    CPU only.
  • Ghaleon4Ghaleon4 South Oklahoma
    edited April 2007
    Thrax!! Howdy!!

Are two of these Asetek units required in order to cool two cpu's I wonder?
    Thanks!
    edited April 2007
    For anyone who's curious, I've been told from other sources that typically, if you want to run a dual-proc system...it's typically required that you have two seperate cooling units, and it's likely that water-cooling may be the preferred solution for such a system.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Ghaleon4 wrote:
    For anyone who's curious, I've been told from other sources that typically, if you want to run a dual-proc system...it's typically required that you have two seperate cooling units, and it's likely that water-cooling may be the preferred solution for such a system.

Howdy G4,

If you want four cores, it's probably cheaper, faster, and easier to go for a single quad-core Intel processor. That way you only have to cool one chip.

It may change, but right now, Intel is spanking the pants off AMD with its Core 2 series chips.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    It may change, but right now, Intel is spanking the pants off AMD with its Core 2 series chips.

We'll see what happens later this month with AMD's mega-release. If nothing else I bet the AMD quads will be comprable performance, but with less heat & better per watt performance (altho deep down I hope they rock the socks off the Core 2 in all possible ways)

/self admitted AMD fanboy
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    The way to cool a system with multiple CPUs and GPUs is to liquid cool. Use a low temp coolant (I like Envirocool) and cool the liquid with a small chiller. Finding a cheap small chiller is the hard part.
  • lsevaldlsevald Norway Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    I would be cautious trying to cool a current quad core cpu (overclocked) using a stock VapoLS. The heatload is too high (easily over 250Watts, check here, for instance a kentsfield at 3.8GHz and 1.5Vcore puts out 267W according to the site).
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    WOW, that is some serious heat. I dunno how reliable the source is, but it's rumored that the AMD Quad will have a 95W TDP at stock.

Now that would be impressive.
    edited April 2007
    Mas0n:
    Man, if that's the case, I can't WAAAIIIT for AMD's release here in a few weeks. (Of course, I dunno why...it's not like I'll be building this system anytime this month, rofl). I guess I Just can't wait to see some benchies, and reviews!
    Of course, I think I've pretty much decided that my platform will be a Vapochilled Quad-Core AMD on an NForce chipset, with the GPU/Chipset/Memory water-cooled. mwa-haha! Not to mention the BGF (Do I wanna do this, because of the performance, or just to show off the neat cooling technologies???)
  • lsevaldlsevald Norway Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Thanks for the link Mas0n :) But I would wait for next gen phase (or get one custom made), the current models were initially designed for single core cpu's, and probably were optimized for <200W (probably closer to 150W in reality, if you consider acceptable noise levels).

The AMD TDP sounds nice, and its 27% better than kentsfields 130W (CPU speed not considered), which is great :) But if we compare a good kentsfield OC at say 4GHz and 1.55V (which probably is closer to what you will shoot for with kentsfield and phase), it will end up putting out a tad over 300W (according to the eXtreme PSU calc). If we for the sake of the argument translates this over to the 27% "better" AMD core, the AMD core at a comparable OC will output something like 220W, which still is borderline/too much. And the biggest problem isn't bad temps, but the phase change units actually breaking down.
  • edited April 2007
    Yeah, I would have to agree with lasse about production phase and any quad core cpu significantly overclocked right now. You would probably be better off getting a custom built single stage system that is using heavier duty components and optimized for dealing with 250-300 watts of heat. There are several people building custom phase that should hold up under this kind of load. But I don't think anyone's production line phase units can handle those heat loads 24/7/365. And like edcentric said, another option is to go the chiller route, which would probably be easier to do if you want to cool processor and 1-2 vid cards to subambient. But it will take a pretty hefty chiller to deal with that much heatload being dumped into it from an overclocked quad plus 2 overclocked 8800's.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited April 2007
    My plan was to do what you are proposing with my wife's comp.
    Asetek VapoChill LS on a quad kentsfield. Every forum i checked or posted on said what everyone above stated. QX6700 or QX6600 produce too much heat when trying for a decent overclock.

My new plan, eventually, will be to use the LS with a E6600. Less heat, more overclocking possibilities. Can't say what it will do for any future AMD proc's though.