If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lock ups in Windows SMP

edcentricedcentric Icrontiannear Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
edited April 2007 in Folding@Home
I have had a couple of cases where machines have simply stopped making progress on a WU. After restart they fold fine. They pick up from where they had stopped and all is OK.
The last time I looked and there was still CPU activity.
I don't need to reboot, just close and restart f@h.

Anyone else?

Comments

• edcentricedcentric Icrontian near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    No one?
    I have had this happen on both boxes. An overnight hangup like is enough to prevent my AX2 machine from finishing within deadline. I hate to be at 87% and get the deadline message.

I have started deleting the WU when it happens, if I am less than 50%. If I am over 50% I restart it and hope that it finishes.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited April 2007
    Sounds like a known bug, does your ISP reset your IP addy during the night? as any changes to network cause this behaviour.
  • OrianeOriane Turn around.
    edited April 2007
    ed,

I don’t know if it’s related, but I can tell you what I’ve seen a lot of.

Every time I start-up my PC, FAH is launched and set to run at 100% using advanced methods and has access to all memory (2GB). FAH runs best right after I do so. However, my studies many times become very PC intensive and after a while FAH will bog down because it is a low priority task and gets bumped. When I’m done with my work, for some reason FAH does not recover. What used to take only 20-30 minutes a frame now takes 2-4 hours. FAH seems like it is stalled but it is still computing properly. Restarting FAH also fixes this for me and I’ve simply just learned to live with it.

My guess- what happens is that FAH gets bumped out of running in cache and trashes from there on.

I also used to have a scheduled anti-virus scan and automatic updates turned on and I would sometimes come back from road trips and find FAH “stalled”. (Worse, I used to find it rebooted- which stopped FAH altogether- I had it in my Startup folder). Since then I have killed both auto-scans and updates and I’ve not had this problem.

I don’t know about other FAH methods and clients like SMP. I also don’t know what it could be if you are running FAH on a dedicated unit.

Whatever- this is something that may be related and hope it may help.