Please Help! Monitor blank, Vid Card Probs?

edited April 2007 in Hardware
For some reason I went to boot up my comp and nothing will show up on the monitor. Monitor is plugged into power and vid card. Any ideas? Is the vid card shot? Any suggestions? Thank you a ton!

Card is a Radeon 9500 Pro
Windows XP
P4 2.4GHz
1GB Ram

Comments

• mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited April 2007
    1. Is it dark right from the get go....you don't even see BIOS/CMOS kind of stuff or does it go dark when the windows driver starts to load?
    2. Plug in your neighbor's monitor.
    3. Watch the little power light by the on/off button. Does it ever go green or does it stay amber when you turn on the computer?
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Avs, does the computer boot? If you pull the video card does it boot?
  • edited April 2007
    It is dark from the get go, like I see nothing on the screen. The computer will boot up and I hear everything going but I can't see anything. I tried two different monitors and still nothing appears.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited April 2007
    video card
    > trash

EDIT: Avs you could just take it out and reseat it. That's always worth a shot with cards. But what you've done does narrow it right down to that.
  • edited April 2007
    mtrox wrote:
    video card
    > trash

EDIT: Avs you could just take it out and reseat it. That's always worth a shot with cards. But what you've done does narrow it right down to that.

Reseat it as in take it out and put it back in? If so, i tried that and it didn't work.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited April 2007
    Yea that's what I meant Avs. Sometimes after a card's been in a slot a while you make a better connection when you take it out and put it back in. Doesn't look good for that Radeon.
  • edited April 2007
    Thank you for the help mtorx
  • edited April 2007
    I bought a new vid card and stuck it in there and it still didn't work. It is a radeon 256mb 9550, this card doesn't require power from the PS? Maybe the agp slot on the mobo went bad? Anyone have any suggestions? Thank you
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited April 2007
    Shoot Avs. Sorry. You do have to wonder about that AGP slot now. You could:
    1. Try your old card in a friend's computer with an AGP slot to be sure
    2. Get a PCI video card....I know that's not exactly an upgrade though