DVD/CD Combo drive- reads DVDs but not CDs

edited April 2007 in Hardware
Hi - I am using a Compaq presario V2000 laptop and it has a TSSTcorp CD/DVDRW TS-L532R drive. I just formatted my drive and re-installed Windows XP thru an external USB CD-ROM drive(because it wasnt booting from the in-built drive). Once Windows was installed I tried to test the in-built drive again. It reads DVDs fine but not CDs.... I couldnt find driver updates on the HP site or any other site as well.....

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

-N

Comments

• KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited April 2007
    I have heard that sometimes when you remove the cd/dvdrw drive in device manager, then do a full reboot and let windows re find the device again. That it starts working properly.
    Haven't actually tried it myself, but it's worth a go :)
  • edited April 2007
    Tried it.... did not work out for me unfortunately... for a few seconds I thought it might just work and then it just gave me messages saying that disk might be corrupted or not in a format compatible with Windows.... DVDs work fine though.... as before....

thanks for the tip though...
    Kentigern wrote:
    I have heard that sometimes when you remove the cd/dvdrw drive in device manager, then do a full reboot and let windows re find the device again. That it starts working properly.
    Haven't actually tried it myself, but it's worth a go :)