Problem with system recovery

edited April 2007 in Hardware
Here is the problem. I am fairly decent when it comes to working with computers, but I've hit a bit of a snag on this issue. I'm trying to restore an Emachine 6412 that had become infected with a virus (which one I have no idea) using the restore disk that came with the computer. As soon as I put the restore CD in, I started having this problem. I was doing a full system restore and everything started off fine. It starts to partition the hard drive and once that is finished it says that it is preparing recovery options. Once that progress bar is finished and the splash screen that has both the Emachines logo and "powered by PC Angel" logo pops up, the recovery abruptly stops. I thought that maybe it was just taking a really long to recover so I left it on overnight and nothing happened. I slaved the hard drive onto my own personal PC and zeroed out the hard drive and tried again. The exact same thing happened. I thought that maybe the RAM wasn't inserted correctly so I reinstalled it. I ran the software again, same thing. I can enter the BIOS just fine but I really want to get this computer restored asap. Any ideas on what might be wrong? I actually ordered two more copies of the restore disk from Emachines and they both do the same thing. Is there something obvious that I am overlooking?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Try a different CD-ROM, and different memory.
  • edited April 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Try a different CD-ROM, and different memory.

I subbed the RAM that this computer has with RAM I know works from another computer and it still did not work. I also have a total of 3 of the same recovery disk and they all do the same thing. Is there anything else I can try?
    edited April 2007
    Try a different CD-ROM; not disc, drive.
  • edited April 2007
    Let me try that and I'll get right back. Thanks for the help.
  • edited April 2007
    Well, I tried a new CD-ROM and that didn't work. It actually doesn't get as far as it was before. Now it freezes before the "e" splash screen completely appears. Maybe the cables are the problem?
    edited April 2007
    Always a possibility. :) I've seen this issue a couple times, and it was never the same solution for any of them.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2007
    Mathematiq wrote:
    ...Maybe the cables are the problem?
    I agree with Thrax. Plus, it's a cheap and easy thing to test.

Another possibility is the Power Supply Unit. I haven't checked on your particular model, but eMachines are notoriously underpowered. Can you borrow a good one for testing purposes?