BSOD

JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
edited April 2007 in Hardware
Hello. I'm not sure what this problem is, or what causes it, so I just posted it in the Hardware forum, as that is what I suspect. Lately, my machine seems to be having all sorts of problems. I'm getting all kinds of BSOD's, and my machine sometimes just freeze, and I must reboot. Of the BSOD's I can mention:

Machine_check_exeption

No more irp stack locations

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER

A process crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated

There are more, but I haven't written them down. I have updated all my drivers, and all updates from Microsoft. I have scanned my computer with AVG Antivius, Stinger from McAfee, Panda Online, Ad-aware and Spybot. All came out clean. I have run an Error-check on my HD, no problems there.
As for the freezing ofd my computer, it seems to appear at random. It could freeze when I have just booted after I come home from school, or it can freeze as I'm about to turn it off.

Please help me, as I have no idea what the problem is.

Comments

• mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited April 2007
    jokke,

One of the things you always suspect with BSOD's is bad memory. When the BSOD's are that random I'd ramp that concern up even higher. Make a memtest boot disk (probably from another machine since we just can't trust yours) and boot up and run the tests. If you get one error, that's too many.

I'd start there, esp with those symptoms.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    I Ran memtest twice, and it passed both times with no errors. Guess the memory is OK, then.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited April 2007
    Yea two passes with no errors is pretty good. Thought this would be easy. Any clues in the event viewer?
    edited April 2007
    Where is the event viewer? :hiding:I'm currently running in safe mode, and I experience no crashes, whatsoever.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited April 2007
    Ran memtest for how long? I've never run memtest until completion (didn't even know it could be run to completion) and I've run it for over 24 hours at times. If you didn't run it for 24 hours, I wouldn't be too quick to say the RAM is good.

Also, make sure your case has been blown out with some canned air. I pulled apart my home rig last weekend to make some upgrades and I knew it would be dusty because I hadn't cleaned it in probably two years or more, but the amount of dust that was on everything literally amazed me and I was surprised the system would run. my heatsink was almost completely blocked with a layer of thick dust so I don't think the fan was doing much good at all. I'd say it was only minimally better than a passively cooled CPU. Also, make sure you don't just blow off the RAM/CPU, blow off EVERYTHING. Hard drives, north/south bridge, power supply. Run Check Disk (chkdsk.exe).

Also, try updating your system BIOS.
    edited April 2007
    I had my whole computer apart about two weeks ago, had a real spring cleaning in there. I though the problems may be from then, so I checked that everything was properly inserted, and it was. I ran memtest for about two hours, it seems to just start over again when it's finished. I'll try the Chkdsk.exe. I'll also try to upgrade the Bios. Thanks for the help so far, guys.
    edited April 2007
    I have found the BIOS Update I need, but how do I install it? It says I should not run this batch under windows, and I should run it from a clean boot. When I try to run from floppy, I just get a message saying I should "Remove media or other device, and press a button to restart"
    edited April 2007
    I've run BIOS updates inside Windows a number of times and never had a problem.

Windows:
    Go to the motherboard manufacturer's website and download the newest BIOS and the BIOS update utility for windows and follow the instructions.

Boot floppy:
    Go to the motherboard manufacturer's website and download the newest BIOS and the BIOS update utility for DOS.
    Create a boot floppy. In Windows Explorer go to A: and right-click. Select Format and check the option to create a bootable diskette. Once that is done, copy the update utility (exe form, not .zip) and the newest BIOS to the floppy and reboot. Once you're presented with a DOS command prompt, type in the name of the BIOS update utility and follow the instructions.

If you do not have a floppy drive, you can make a bootable CD and copy the files needed to the CD. I've done that before.
    edited April 2007
    BIOS Updated, great success. Thank you for those great instructions, a2jfreak. If this has any effect on my problems, still remains to see. I will run my computer overnight, and get back to you in the morning.
    edited April 2007
    This morning my computer had frozen again. I'm away for the weekend, so I can't investigate this any further until monday. All help is appreciated.
    edited April 2007
    froze running memtest or froze in Windows?
    If you didn't run memtest for 24 hours with no errors then you need to do so. If your CPU or RAM is NOT overclocked, then perhaps you need better cooling or perhaps you have the voltage set too low. Try bumping the RAM voltage up by 0.1v and see if that does the trick. If not, try bumping the CPU voltage up by 0.025v or even 0.05v.

I don't know if this could cause your problem, but if you have a spare battery, try replacing the battery on your motherboard.
    edited April 2007
    As I don't know how to overclock, my computer isn't. How can I turn up the voltage? I will try to run memtest for a longer period this time, I will report back with my findings.
    edited April 2007
    I've been running memtest since yesterday, for about 22 hours. It shows 0 errors and 36 passes. I've also looked around in BIOS and found both clocking frequencies and voltage. Turned the clock DOWN one notch, just in case, and turned the voltage UP one notch. It may be cooling problems, because when i touch my HDD or put my hand different places on my computer, it feels very hot. Do I have to buy more fans, or is it possible to turn up the speed of the old one?
    edited April 2007
    Well, my machine seems OK, it hasn't crashed at all since I turned up the voltage and down the clock. I've been running it for all day, without problems, and even been playing some games. Seems the problem is solved. thanks to everyone contributing with help and tips, especially a2jfreak. You guys rock!
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited April 2007
    Nice job a2j!
    edited April 2007
    I'm glad your system seems to be running more smoothly. I hope it stays that way. Let us know if it starts misbehaving.

As for turning up the speed of the fans, the answer is probably no. Make sure your case is where it can have adequate ventilation. If it's pressed up against a wall, that might restrict the airflow. Also, you might only need to change the direction of some fans rather than adding new ones. If all your fans are blowing OUT of the case, that's not good. Some need to bring fresh air in and some take the hot air out.