Continuous freezing. "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION"

edited May 2007 in Hardware
My computer has been doing strange freezes and crashes for a couple months now and I wasn't able to figure out why so I just lived with the problem. But recently, the problem has become more frequent and now frequently will BSOD to a "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION" error. I'd be using the computer one second and the next, it will become non-responsive. I've heard that this issue is due to some hardware failure? I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited April 2007
    :wave: Hi 5150
    Machine check exceptions are frequently caused by one of the following conditions:
    • Running the processor or mainboard beyond its specifications. e.g., overclocking the processor or bus.
    • Outmatched power supplies and failing power supplies can destabilize your computer.
    • Extreme thermal conditions caused by the failure of cooling devices such as fans - make sure that your cooling devices are all working.
    • You have damaged memory or memory that is not the correct type for your computer.
    If you recently changed the memory configuration, revert to the previous configuration to see if that's what is wrong.
  • edited April 2007
    I had the processor overclocked for a short amount of time a couple months ago but since then it has been running at normal speeds.

My power supply is a pc power and cooling 500w(?) power supply from about a little over a year ago. I'm not exactly sure about the voltage but I'm pretty sure its about 500w. How can I tell if my power supply is failing?

Fans all seem to be spinning.

Haven't changed my memory since I first built the computer.

Thanks for the help. :)
  • edited April 2007
    Hm so do I assume it's my power supply?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2007
    I would hesitate to tell someone to spend money on a PSU if they weren't pretty sure that it was going to solve the problem. I do think that it's worth pursuing the idea, though.

Try and borrow a good one and see if it makes a difference. If you can't borrow one, see if there is a local computer store with a very clear return policy should it not do the trick. :)
  • edited April 2007
    btw what is considered normal for fluctuations in the voltages for your processor and other components in bios? like if your vcore is set to 1.4 then how far below that is considered normal? .04? .05? thanks again
    edited April 2007
    5% is usually considered fine. Where many PSU's go bad is in the amperage. :)
  • edited April 2007
    profdlp wrote:
    5% is usually considered fine. Where many PSU's go bad is in the amperage. :)

sorry what does amperage mean? +_+
    edited April 2007
    Voltage is how fast a current flows. Amperage is how strong a punch it packs when it gets there.

It's not all that easy to test a PSU's amperage output without a special tester. The easy way out is to replace it with a unit you know to be good and see if the problem goes away, which is why I'd recommend borrowing one if at all possible.

I would also take a look at the motherboard and see if there are any swollen or leaky capacitors. :)
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    I got a MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION error a little while back, along with many other crashes and messages. I solved it by clocking down a tiny notch, and increase the voltage one notch in BIOS. Might be worth a shot.
  • edited May 2007
    Jokke wrote:
    I got a MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION error a little while back, along with many other crashes and messages. I solved it by clocking down a tiny notch, and increase the voltage one notch in BIOS. Might be worth a shot.

I will see if that works. Also I've noticed that I don't get any errors if my computer has been running for a couple days. For example, if I turn my computer off for a couple hours/through the night/during the day and I turn it back on I get these errors. But if my computer has been on for a while, I'm not exactly sure how long, I don't seem to get any errors. :confused: