Laptop: build or buy

brybond1989brybond1989 Fullerton, CA
edited April 2007 in Hardware
Hey guys, I am looking to get a laptop computer. I would like to build it at my house, but my homebuilding experience has bee limited to desktop PC’s. Is it that much harder to build a laptop, or would I have a decent chance of succeeding. I have my specs set on something similar to the Alienware Aurora mALX 19", but I would like to avoid the $5000 price tag. Here is my wish list:
· Core 2 Duo Processor (preferably something in the e6600 range)
· 7900 or 7600 GTX video card
· 2G of Ram
· 18-19” screen
· Windows XP (unless Vista is any better with games than what I have heard)
I realize that this is a lot to ask for, and I do not want to spend more on my laptop than my desktop (about $2600). I am thinking about shopping from Dell if I end up buying instead of building. I thought about Alienware’s products but there pretty pricey for not much gain in performance. If you have any suggestions on better places to go please share with me. Thanks

Bryant

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Building laptops is almost impossible if you are not a Computer tech store, as parts are not just sold to anyone from anywhere. I have found only 2 people willing to sell laptop parts to me, but none of them have all the components needed to complete the build.

To void frustration and the possibility of it not working at all, I recommend buying something already pre built with a warranty. If you really want to try to build your own I wish you the best of luck…
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Have to second that, building a lappy is almost impossible. Shop around and get the best deal you can find, or build a desktop.

All the best
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    You can easily order the parts to build a plane jane lappy, but not your game monster.