Question about OCZ Rally 2 High Performance 4GB

GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
edited April 2007 in Hardware
Hello there !

Im thinking about buying a new sound system for my car (RSX 2006) and i've read many good things about this headset unit

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X890
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-klvWnShYUfm/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=113KDCX890

Now you ask, why do i came here and talk about car stero ? Because this headset has this little feature :
» USB input

I've talk to a vendor in local store and he told me that this headset 'should' support any kind of normal USB storage device.

I'm a big OCZ fan and so i've look for one your USB flash drive product and found out the OCZ Rally 2 High Performance 4GB USB2.0 Dual Channel Flash Memory Drive. Looks great. Seems faster than everything else.

Do you think there will be problem if i try to use the OCZ Rally with my car stereo headset ? All the 'Dual Channel' thing makes me wonder if this drive will work on another thing than a computer. Maybe this drive is overkill for my needs too, that's why im here ;)

The USB drive im looking for would be mainly use as 'hard drive' to store 4 gig of mp3's in my car. I don't want to use a usb hard drive cuz i want something that will never skip on the reading, and a car is not the best place to store a hard drive i think.

Since im here talking about flash drive i'll ask another question cuz the guy in my local store was not looking like he was very aware of what he was talking about lol

Here's the question : Do you think a flash drive would fail on cold temperature ? Cuz if i store the drive well-hidden in my car i wont took the device out until i want to refresh my playlist ;) So the device could be there for a long time. During winter the temp. can goes to -35C outside and its quite cold inside the car. Do you think this could 'hurt' the device in any ways ?

I know its a lot of questions, and some noob ones ;) Im looking on car-modders forums atm too but i came here cuz i know i'll be well informed :D

Feel free to ask questions or give opinions, every input will be appreciated :)

Thankx

NOTE : As always sorry for my poor english, did my best :p

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Kevin, as usual, your English is way better than you think. your post was perfectly understandable :)
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited April 2007
    Hahah Prime :) You're too kind, as always :cool:

BTW : My tower is still in good shape hah ;D
    edited April 2007
    Here's some update i had from a car modder forum.

Seems like they'll be no problem with the temperature, they only thing that could happen with cold them is that the components may not work very well UNTIL the temp. goes higher. That seems logical.

They don't know for the compatibily with the OCZ memory but they suggested me to chose a more 'bottom line' flash memory stick to be sure i won't have problems. i'll wait for an answer of OCZ here for some days and i'll go for a basic stick like a Kingston Traveller 4 gig or something like that unless someone tell me that the OCZ Rally will work.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    I just spoke to the flash engineer.

-35C is approaching a temperature when the device would probably not function very well, if it is going to be that cold, I suggest bringing the unit inside.

Other than that....you should not have any issues.
    edited April 2007
    Thankx for the reply !

Since -35 is not going to happen very often i'll just pull out the flash drive when it's going to happen.

So your saying that the "Dual Channel" thing won't make the Rally works only on a PC ? If that's so, that's cool and im gonna buy one :D