AX20 or Dell M1710

brybond1989brybond1989 Fullerton, CA
edited April 2007 in Hardware
Hey guys, I am shopping around for a solid gaming laptop that is somewhere in the $2500.00 range. I want to get something I can carry around and hook together for LAN games with my friends, so I am not very concerned with fancy side features (like TV tuners or Blue Ray readers). The laptop that I am currently leaning toward is the Aviator AX20, but I just heard about the Dell XPS M1710. I checked out the specs and it looks pretty high end too. My only concern is going down from a 20” screen to a 17”. However the Dell does have Core 2 Duo and is a pretty popular buy online. Will I really see a significant change in performance worth having a smaller screen or should I stick with the AX20. Also if I am ignoring any other good gaming laptops please share it with me. Thanks,
Bryant

Comments

• edited April 2007
    I just got the Dell Inspiron E1705, which I built up as a poor man's XPS 1710 (they share the same basic chassis). It doesn't have the GeForce Go 7900GTX as a vid card option but you can buy this off eBay and with a simple mod can use that vid card. I have mine equipped with the GeForce Go 7900GS, which is also a decent video card choice, but not as hard core as the 7900 GTX. But the main reason I went with the E1705 is that I was able to keep the price down below $2400 delivered, with a Meron T7400, @ GB DDR2 667 ram and 100 GB 7200 rpm drive.