Longhorn NDA?

TemplarTemplar You first.
edited November 2003 in Science & Tech
I feel sure it is, but can anyone confirm this? If not, Ok to post shots here? :D

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk
    goes to question higher-up's ;)
    Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    goes to question higher-up's ;)
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    It is and you know what to do ;)

Keep it lean and legal thanks chap :)
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited October 2003
    Longhorn is out in build 4051 and it does have a lot of quirks. We aren't distributing the build nor links to it but there is no reason to not post screenies.

If you have screenies...love to see them. They have to be from your system as it's not good to linked to other sites images.

We don't endorse ripping off images from other sites nor do we endorse openly sharing links to where illegal software is. If you have build 4051 that's fine. If you want to share your thoughts on it that is your business and is "news". But SM does not promote warez sharing.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    What he said :D
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited October 2003
    i think i might try that out later, i'll see if i can set up a triple boot XP / Longhorn / RH9 system
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited October 2003
    Although more stable than the previous builds, 4051 has issues with Intel's i875 & i865 chipsets. There's no simple way to install chipset drivers and there is limited support for audio drivers. :)

Overall, the new Slate interface is quite nice and is very fitting for the Haloween theme :).

Install time was approximately 15 minutes, which was quite a shocker, and boot times are pretty fast as well. It takes an ungodly amount of time to get the GUI up and running, but once it's running, it's fairly stable (been folding 2 days and using it as my primary OS).

Overall, they still have lots of work to do, but it's a good indication of what are the things to come.

Oh, and it's a memory hog like you wouldn't believe. Check out the memory utilization on just 4 IE windows. 600 MB's!
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited October 2003
    good god! that'd be close to my page files max!
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited November 2003
    where did you get longhorn from simguy? (if you dont mind telling)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    What MediaMan Said
    <font size="5" color="red">But SM does not promote warez sharing.</font>

That said, I wonder if Longhorn has a memory leak. Even for microsoft, 601mb seems very very high.
    edited November 2003
    sorry
    edited November 2003
    Is longhorn working good for you SimGuy, like stable and pretty fast? I thought it was for 64 bit prossecors only?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Longhorn is Microsoft's next major planned operating system to be released somewhere in 2005.

It is the successor to Windows XP in the mainstream market, as Windows XP was the successor to Windows ME. In that regard, we may expect to see X86-64 extensions in the final release of Longhorn but that cannot be guaranteed. Judging the plausible propagation of AMD's new chips, it seems feasible to have x86-64 enabled in the long run.

Windows XP 64-bit is for Itanium only, and Windows XP 64 Bit Extended (I believe that's the name), is for the AMD's Hammer series.
    edited November 2003
    cool thanks