Clueless

boricua9215boricua9215 Hollywood, FL.
edited April 2007 in Hardware
Hi, so what would be wrong with my computer if:

A. I experiance random and frequent freezing and crashing of just the game itself when I'm playing it (World of Warcraft). Occassionally the computer restarts itself after the game crashes and my next problem is listed below...

B. Most of the time I'm unable to log into windows normally (right now I'm on the safe mode with networking option). I'm able to get to the windows loading screen, but when the windows log in screen is supposed to come up next my screen just stays black, and after a few seconds my monitor shuts off telling me that it isn't receiving a signal anymore.

Something is telling me it's the video card, but I'm here for a 100% positive solution to the problem before I do anything at all.

Also if I have this posted in the wrong section I apologize.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    http://www.short-media.com/articles/diagnose_with_memtest86

Download, burn the ISO to and run DFT: HERE

Download and post screenshots of Speedfan so we can check temperatures and voltages of your cpu.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2007
    What type of computer do you have and how is the cooling setup? IE did you build it yourself or a Dell/Compaq/etc and is it well ventilated. As thrax was hinting at it could be an overheating issue since it happens after playing WoW.
  • boricua9215boricua9215 Hollywood, FL.
    edited April 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    http://www.short-media.com/articles/diagnose_with_memtest86

Download, burn the ISO to and run DFT: HERE

Download and post screenshots of Speedfan so we can check temperatures and voltages of your cpu.

Ok, I'll try what you posted above Thrax. When I installed and ran the Speedfan program, I kept getting errors. Is this because I'm running on safe mode? Safe mode is the only way to be able to log onto windows now that I'm having this problem. Also, I don't see any names of programs that fit the acronyms ISO and DFT that you mentioned below the page you linked, it's late, I'm tired and I apologize.
    mmonnin wrote:
    What type of computer do you have and how is the cooling setup? IE did you build it yourself or a Dell/Compaq/etc and is it well ventilated. As thrax was hinting at it could be an overheating issue since it happens after playing WoW.

My computer is a custom built PC that I bought off of a friend a few months ago. It is well ventilated, it has a total of 7 fans including the fans built into the video card and a fan installed over the CPU. I have a screen in the front bottom portion of the tower that tells me the tempature and what I usually see it displaying is 77-79 degrees. My video card is an NVidia GeForce 6800 with 128mb RAM in case you were wondering.