Upgrade Bios for new proc?

Ghaleon4Ghaleon4 South Oklahoma
edited April 2007 in Hardware
Hey, um...I have a question...hehe. : )
I just ordered an Abit AV8 Motherboard that will support an Athlon X2 Processor with a bios update.

I was just wondering...will I be able to update the bios on the motherboard, even with the X2 in it?? Or...am I gonna need another processor just to get it to post?

I haven't had to update a bios for a "newer" processor in soooo long...

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    If it doesn't have a BIOS that supports the X2 out of the box, you can't flash without another chip that it supports.
  • Ghaleon4Ghaleon4 South Oklahoma
    edited April 2007
    CRAAAAP!
    so, uh...dang.
    I'll ask around, but...just in case...where would one go for help if they had no friends with a 939 chip?

Thanks Thrax!
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    maybe you can get someone to give you a loaner if you paid shipping both ways? I have none, hell I'm still stuck on S754. It sucks to be an early adopter.
    edited April 2007
    ROFL, now that I think of it...I work at Dell. If I Can't find SOMEONE SOMEWHERE that's willing to loan me a socket 939, then I don't deserve to get my computer back up and running, hehe.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Totally OT but WTF? You're at Dell now? Since when?
    edited April 2007
    A few months now...
    : )
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2007
    Find another motherboard that is running that has the same type of BIOS chip. Take its BIOS out while running, put yours in, Flash, put original BIOS back in. You now have a good BIOS.

Or find another CPU.