New Video Card

PumalitePumalite Santiago-Centro
edited April 2007 in Hardware
I'm stuck in the 478 socket with a Prescott 3.2. Right now I have an ATI Radeon 9200 SE. I have 2 GB of Ram. Recently changed operating system to Linux Suse 10.2. The system supports a GeForce 7600 GS AGP. The problem is that the only thing I can get my hands on is an ASUS (NVIDIA) GeForce 7600 GS AGP 256 MB 8X. The question is: Will Suse recognize the ASUS as an NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS? And: What is the difference between the two cards?. I would appreciate very much any info you can provide me with. I don't want to change motherboard, CPU and go the PCIExpress route. Ah, the motherboard is an ASUS P4P800 SE and the memory is DDR, with an 800 Mhz bus.

Comments

• edited April 2007
    I don't use Suse. In general, you need the Nvidia X11 drivers for the new graphics card. You can either use the generic nv drivers in X11 that you already have on your harddisk, or download Nvidia drivers from their website. Nvidia drivers come with their own installation scripts/programs and potentially give better performance in 3D applications. You can do a search in Google or go to Suse website to find out how to configure X11 for your new graphics card. Good luck!
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Nvidia cards usually have great support in Linux.

ATI support is horrible. Let me emphasize that that, horrible.There has been a recent push by ATI/AMD to catch up to nvidia but it is still no where close.

Suse should recognize that card no problem. However, you might have to install the nvidia drivers (versus the default nv) for better performance.

cheers :jared:
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    The chipset on any brand 7600GS is the same... They will all show up as Nvidia cards.
  • PumalitePumalite Santiago-Centro
    edited April 2007
    Thank you guys for the tips. I've been busy trying to figure out this myself. It's true, ATI sucks in Suse. It's also true that the chip in the card it's all that matters, so I can use the ASUS. It's also true that once I install the card, I'll have to download the NVIDIA drivers. Well, I changed from Windows after I tried Vista. I love Linux. I have all that I had in Windblows, and nobody pestering me. Thank you again.