Stress Testing Software.?

sociable-nomadsociable-nomad New Zealand - The land of the long white cloud
edited June 2007 in Hardware
Can anyone reccommend something that doesnt require an internet connection to run (wont be connected on the new system till I move in a couple of months...)

I tried prime95 but I think it needs a connection to work? (or atleast the help menu does...)

Thanks
-SN-

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    do you want to stress test certain components or the entire PC?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I suggest ORTHOS for CPU testing, Memtest for RAM test and RTHDRIBL for GPU testing.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited June 2007
    SP2004 is my personal favorite for CPU. Prime95 does not require an internet connection unless you want to participate in the GIMPS program to find large prime numbers. There is an option within Prime95 to simply use 'Stress Testing'.

Should find everything you need here: http://icrontic.com/articles/a64_overclocking_tools
  • edited June 2007
    I will second Orthos for testing and it will test both your processor and your ram for stability if you want. It's basically a modification of SP2004 and is multicore-aware so if you start it with a dual or quad core processor it will run as many instances as needed to load the processor to 100% on all cores.

And for heatsink testing on Intel Core Duo and Core 2 Duo based systems, you can't beat Intel's Thermal Analysis Tool (TAT) for heat production for testing your cooling solution for effectiveness. I don't know of another program that can stress a Core 2 Duo like TAT.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I use orthos (cpu test) and memtest 3.5 (ram test) for overclock stressing & testing. I like this version of memtest cause it runs within windows. Not quite as clean of a test as memtest86 but once you determine your ram is good then windows version does just fine. You can get it here if you like.

http://hcidesign.com/

I also like to use pcwizard2007 for quick & dirty benching.