Upgrade Time!

mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
edited April 2007 in Hardware
Yeah so I have been piecing together some parts for a new core system upgrade.

So what I have so far is:

Intel E6600 or E6420 - 2.4GHz vs 2.13GHz (9 vs 8 Multiplier)
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 - Gotta support Micron
SAPPHIRE 100185L Radeon X1950XT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3

I am kinda stuck as to what motherboard to choose, even what chipset. I see 3 chipsets out there right now I could choose from. None would probably make a difference to me right now. Not a big gamer, not a hard core OCer Just want stability and to have a decent OC.
  • I've heard the 680i can OC higher but isnt as fast per clock.
  • Best at comparable speeds would be the 975X.
  • Lowest power consumption is the P965.
  • 680i is able to run FSB:MEM at any ratio independently, the others do not.
  • Crossfire only on 975X.
  • SLI only on 680i.
I've read some good things on the EVGA 680i A1 board. Stability, easy to OC, quite a few people have recommended it.

Basically what I want is to get the most of of my CPU/RAM, Raid(they all have Raid0), maybe a second Video card for FAH down the line.

Have a question tho...how much of an OC should I expect from either of those CPUs? I know to even reach stock RAM speeds I will be at 3.6GHz with the E6600. If I will not be able to even reach that then I dont really see a need to spend the extra $30 or so on a CPU if they both reach the same limit. I'm even tempted to just get an E4300.

For cooling I want to go with an Ultra 120 extreme (if I can find one in stock) or a Scythe Ninja.

I should have all the rest...HDDs, PSU, all the other mumbo jumbo. Any suggestions on my rambling?