Windows Logon Process Error c000021a

edited May 2007 in Hardware
Hi everyone, I've run into a couple of problems with my normally reliable pc.

Specs:
Barton 2500xp
512mb RAM
ATi x1600 512mb GRAM
nForce Mobo (unsure)
160GB Western Digital
20GB Primary HD.

Here's the problem, first I alt-tabbed from Diablo2 to find my resolution decrease (although I do not know if this is the root of the problem or just my desktop resorting to the Diablo Resolution) During the alt tab AVG was updating/scanning/whatnot, i exitted it before it could finish updating because it was non-responsive. After that the resolution stayed the same even after exitting the game. I did a hard shut-down, because I'm impatient and on boot up the computer came to the normal window's log-in screen but the login box did not come up, just the blue background (not a BSOD). So I after giving it some time I restarted using the "Last known Window's config that worked" same thing happened. So I restarted in safe mode and got the BSOD with a message as follows:

Stop: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process Sytem process termintated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000135 (0x00000000 0x00000000). The system has been shut down.

Now since I cannot get into my PC, all scan solution are off-limits to me, so I figure the only was to fix this would either be to somehow do it through the BIOS, which I am not firmilar with or through completely reinstalling windows. Any help you can give me would be very appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2007
    This info is targeted for WinNT 4.0, but I believe it applies to your situation.

Rather than install a second copy of Windows, I would do one of the following:

1) Either plug the drive in to a working computer, then tunnel into the registry remotely on the bad drive to run the registry fix described in the article,

Or,

2) Do a Repair Install of the existing Windows installation in the computer it is in right now.

Hope this helps. :)
  • edited May 2007
    Thanks for the reply, I tried doing a repair install with no luck there, so I sent it to the neighbourhood computer place, since then they have apparently tried everything to no avail. So they are installing a second copy of windows, luckily I had a much larger slave drive that I used for all my games/whatnot so none of my important files will be deleted. I hope to have my computer back by tomorrow.

Thanks for the help. I've actually learned more from looking around the forums then all I knew previously together.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2007
    We hope you stick around. Many of our members have become computer experts just by browsing our forums. :)