Transfer of RAID controller between PCs

edited April 2007 in Hardware
If I were to install a PCI/PCIx SATA RAID controller in my current system would I then be able to put the same controller and HDDs in a new upgraded system without losing the logical drive and data. The array would be made of two mirrored disks using the controllers own RAID chip not the OS's RAID software.

Comments

• ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited April 2007
    should be able to, once you install the drivers for the raid card on the new system, you should be able to go into disk manager and it should have a non-initalized disk, all you should have to do is initialize the disk to give it a drive letter and thats it.

when ever i have to reinstall windows on my primary machine i have to do that. if you are physicly swapping everything to a new machine MAKE SURE YOU NOTE which drive goes to which pport on teh raid card. the home user cards cant determine where the drive is supposed to be in a raid set if they are moved, the higher end home/server cards can. as in i can take all the sata calbes and plug them into diffrent ports on the card all day long it the drives remember where they were int he raid set.

if you try that with a standard home card, it will freak out and not be able to tell which drive is which and usually you loose some stuff. lol take it from me :)