Your thoughts on AMD processor driver and optimizer

adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
edited April 2007 in Hardware
I just built a new system for myself using the AMD X2 5600. I also found these references to dual core processors at AMD's website and wonder if I need these or even how I would know if they would be useful. I use my system for gaming, photo work and general. Here are the two things I need some further explanation about:

1. "AMD Dual-Core Optimizer - The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer can help improve some PC gaming video performance by compensating for those applications that bypass the Windows API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction. Applications that rely on RDTSC do not benefit from the logic in the operating system to properly account for the affect of power management mechanisms on the rate at which a processor core's Time Stamp Counter (TSC) is incremented. The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer helps to correct the resulting video performance effects or other incorrect timing effects that these applications may experience on dual-core processor systems, by periodically adjusting the core time-stamp-counters, so that they are synchronized."

AND:

2. "AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (x86 and x64 exe) 1.3.2.16 - Allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination that match the instantaneous user performance need. Download this Setup Installation program (EXE) to automatically update all the files necessary for installation. This package is recommended for users whom desire a graphical user interface for installation. This .EXE driver is a user friendly localized software installation of the driver designed for end-users. This driver supports AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core processors on Windows XP SP2, Windows 2003 SP1 x84 and x64 Editions."

I have not installed these and don't know if I should. Your thoughts? The system is a screamer without them; would there be any noticeable benefit? BTW, I am staying with WinXP. THX!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Install them.
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Okay, I installed both. I am not sure what to expect in the way of any performance improvements though. Anything I should look for?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2007
    Probably would see it best in gaming benchmarks.