recycle bin lost

ronboronbo Connecticut
edited April 2007 in Science & Tech
Some how after plugging in a usb thumb drive on my wifes computer she has lost the recycle bin. When I click on the recycle bin icon on her desktop, the recycle bin comes up but is never shows what is in it. A little flashlight just keeps searching and searching. I did a google search and found a reg. fix but it did not work. Please guys, get me out of the dog house....thanks..OS is XP Pro... If nothing works I will try a system restore tomorrow.

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Try this:

1. Put USB device back into PC.

2. Click recycle bin and make sure it can now be accessed.

3. Use the safely remove procedure for removing USB devices

4. Click recycle bin again.

It sounds like the storage device references were not removed when the drive was removed and Windows is expecting to find a "recycler" folder for the device :)
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited April 2007
    Thanks for the reply Shorty. Some how, after a few hours it was working again. What you said makes a lot of sense. I have never used that safe to remove procedure before. I thought usb was hot swappable. I just unplug them. I have that safe to remove icon down by the computer clock but I was always afraid to use it because it shows my sata drives. Don't want to remove them by mistake...
  • edited April 2007
    I'd recommend double-clicking the Safely Remove Hardware icon and click the Display Device Components checkbox if it worries you that much. That will tell you exactly what each device is so you can select the one you want to remove. That'll help because you don't want to be pulling out your data storage devices while some program's accessing it - there's a chance it could cause some unwanted side effects to your data.