Unbootable, MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
edited May 2007 in Hardware
Hey, everybody. I've had lots of luck with you guys before, so I figured I'd try again.

I've got a dual-boot Ubuntu and XP on my desktop right now. The Ubuntu's really been pretty much unused because I can't get dual monitors working on it yet, but that's beside the point. The desktop, a few days ago, threw me a MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION error after a power outage shut it down, I think. I powered it down, left it shut down for 15 minutes or so, and tried again, and it booted fine. The other day, another power outage occurred, and gave me the same result, a MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION. Performed the same attempted procedure, but regardless, the error remains. Acronis TrueImage is installed, and at the standard place where it asks me if I want to load a previous image, it tells me Error MBR 2.

I was able to log into Ubuntu the other day, but now, suddenly, I have no USB support when I reboot, and thus can't use any keyboard to select BIOS options, etc, etc. I thoroughly dusted out the entire case, as well.

To sum: when Windows boots, I throw a MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION. I've run Memtest, and it seems to come up with no problems. I've dusted out the case. I suspect my memory, as I've been having real problems with Firefox and general slowness lately before this issue, but again, Memtest shows nothing. Ubuntu was bootable and ran perfectly, but right now, my BIOS isn't giving me USB support, so I can't get in to change any settings.

Is there a chance I have memory issues that memtest isn't seeing? I'm beginning to think it might also be a mobo issue. Any insight I can get from you guys would be helpful. Any information I can get you, let me know and I'll get it to you ASAP.

Rig setup:

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo
Two 1-gig sticks of Corsair RAM (exact model, not sure anymore)
AMD 4800+
Crapload of hard drives

I think that's all the pertinent crap. Thanks for any help, and sorry for the length.

Edit: Just noticed something as well; this time when I attempted to boot up, it worked correctly, and I realized it wasn't recognizing one of my drives when it checks at the beginning. This time it recognized it (It's an SATA), and seems to have booted with no problems. Could all have this been caused by a failing HDD, or is it more likely a failing mobo?

Thanks.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2007
    MJancaitis wrote:
    ...Could all have this been caused by a failing HDD, or is it more likely a failing mobo?
    Absolutely.

If the MB can tell that a device is attached, but can't figure out what it is because it is only working intermittently, it could very well hang at that point and do just what you describe.

Check the cables and also do the tests from the HD manufacturer. :)