No POST, I think...

edited May 2007 in Hardware
Hi All,

I'm working on a Via KT400 north, VT 8235 South board with no aparent manufacturer name (looks like ASUS but they are pretty good about labeling). Board powers up, and with everything installed, will not send signal to monitor. If I remove the RAM, the board beeps, so I assume that it is posting. I have tried a few different vid cards to no avail, not really sure what is going on, I have swapped all components out and nothing. Now, in the interest of full disclosure, it was working and I kicked the multiplier up to 13 (I think) and it worked for a bit but nothing sense. I have reset the CMOS and that doesn't seem to correct the issue. There are a ton of jumpers on the board, I have moved all of them back and forth, nothing. I am out of ideas and this looks like a sweet board for this 2500 Barton I have hanging around, I just need to get into BIOS and can't. I would think if I cooked the board that it wouldn't be doing what it is so far but there seems to be no telling. Please help!!!

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2007
    See if you can find an FCC ID number somewhere on the board. That should help us identify it. :)
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    jumpers? we are going to need an ID. Is this a real large mobo? Dark colored? anything will help.
    Is it a 400 NB or is it the 8368?
    How about this list?
    http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=17&CID=45
  • edited May 2007
    The NB is 400, and I'm not seeing it on the list. It has 4 DIMMs, 5 PCIs, 3 IDE ports (1 is red), one of the IO panels says "Kortak". I'm not seeing an fcc #. the FSB seemes to be jumpered at 166 for now, man, this is baffling...
    edited May 2007
    I posted the link to the 400A list didn't I? Well, they have the other one too.
    Can you see what the other chips are? HDD controller, network, sound.
  • edited May 2007
    http://us.dfi.com.tw/Support/Download/manual_download_us.jsp?PRODUCT_ID=1269&CATEGORY_TYPE=MB&SITE=NA

I think this is it. It is a DFI AD77. Not sure if it is Pro or Infinity, but that is definately the board.
  • edited May 2007
    Looks Like it is an infinity. Status LEDs indicate that system is booting but now, if I take the RAM out, it says the same thing. Am I screwed here?
    edited May 2007
    Yes.
    If you like the mobo, and have all of the needed hardware, then maybe it would be worth a few bucks to get a new bios chip for it.

First though I would go over it with a magnifying glass and make sure that all of the jumpers are there and in the correct places and that the traces in board look good. And dark or discolored places and I wouldn't bother.