help please lost keypad mouse dvd\cd rom

edited May 2007 in Hardware
my dvd\cd rom was missing. so i searched for a solution and found the following....

<!---|abreak|--->1. Click on START button, the click on RUN
<!---|abreak|--->2. Enter REGEDIT and press enter
<!---|abreak|--->3. When REGEDIT starts, open up the following folders
<!---|abreak|--->HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
<!---|abreak|--->SYSTEM
<!---|abreak|--->CurrentControlSet
<!---|abreak|--->Control
<!---|abreak|--->Class
<!---|abreak|--->{4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
<!---|abreak|--->4. After clicking on {4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} you should see two settings on the right-hand side:
<!---|abreak|--->"Upperfilters"
<!---|abreak|--->"Lowerfilters"
<!---|abreak|--->Click on each of them, press DELETE and click YES.
<!---|abreak|--->
<!---|abreak|--->Then close REGEDIT, shutdown & restart your PC

which i did. when i restarted notebook,the mouse pad and keypad didnt work,i attached a usb mouse and did system restore. it didnt work, i also went to device manager,and uninstalled but it didnt work i cant use f8 either. im using on screen keyboard. i cant boot from cd because rom is still missing. please i dont know what to do. it is hp pavilion ze 5300 otebook with xp professional.thanks.:confused::confused:

<!---|abreak|--->

<!---|abreak|--->

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited May 2007
    Hi, Dinnie. Welcome to Short-Media.

Your problem sounds a bit involved.

I would first try to get into my BIOS. Here is a link to help you if you don’t know how to do what I’ll suggest.

If you are able to get into the BIOS, rest assured that your physical keyboard is OK. If the CD/DVD is present (should be Secondary Master) on the Main Menu, go to the Boot Menu and make sure that your CD/DVD is the 1st boot drive.

Try to boot your Windows XP Pro CD. If you can, I’d recommend a Repair Install (the one that appears when the Install program sees the previous installation- NOT the one at the Recovery Console.) This should restore your operating system core and basic drivers without blowing your files and applications away … and hopefully give you your keyboard (and maybe your CD/DVD) back. Run Windows Updates as soon as possible afterwards.

If you can’t get to BIOS and/or can’t see your Optical drive, your problems run deeper than Microsoft can fix. You might see if your BIOS has options that can help find the CD/DVD.

Try this first and post back and let us know how it goes.
  • edited May 2007
    ermm.. did ... wait... ohh ok its still in your computer just not reconized...

check jumper settings and make sure everything is plugged in tight