Laptop audio suggestions

edited May 2007 in Hardware
I am currently running a Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2 and I'm using an AudioTrak Maya EX5 for my audio needs. It does its job of being better than the integrated audio, but I'm wondering if there might be something better out there.

I recently found out about the Audigy 2 ZS for notebooks, and I was wondering if anybody knew how it would compare to the Maya EX5, if it would be a worthy upgrade, or if there were other audio solutions that I would be better off investing in.

I'm a big music guy, so sound quality is very important to me. I need to be able to get good recording quality with as little noise as possible - primarily when connecting my guitar's output to the line-in on my computer (usually after running through my effects processor and/or amp, but sometimes clean) but possibly for voice as well. Naturally, output quality is important too. I've never worked with PCMCIA cards before, so I don't know if it'd pick up noise off the motherboard or anything, but if it does, perhaps a USB solution would be better?

Any and all suggestions are welcome, and thanks in advance!

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    I use a Audigy 2 ZS while at home to connect my surround sound and mic. I love this card to death. Supports full EAX and all the other sound goodies needed for gaming along with Dolby digital and other sound perks. I am using a Logitech surround system and can blast music, movies and games all day long.

I even open the windows mid day playing BF2 and the people outside think a tank is driving through my house.

Overall I love the card, and haven't had any issues with it, no interference, or crackling etc...
  • edited May 2007
    Thanks for the comment. I checked newegg and saw they were on sale for $45 (before shipping and such), less than half of what most places are selling it for, so I just went for it. I figure if it's not that great, it won't be too much of a setback.