My mediaplayers keep crashing (on my second harddrive)

edited May 2007 in Hardware
Every time I play a video file from my newly installed second harddrive, my media players crash after a while. Whether it's Winamp, VLC or Media Player Classic.

I don't know what the problem is, but I think it started the same day, or the day after I got my new harddrive. And it only seems to crash when I play files from my new harddrive and not the old one.

It's a brand new 250 GB Maxtor.

Could this be because the codecs need to be installed on the second harddrive as well? But that doesn't make much sense to me (just thought I'd ask)
I tried re installing winamp and my codec pack, but it still keeps happening. I even system restored the PC back a few weeks, but it still happens.

Help? =(

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2007
    Are you playing the same file every time?

Download the Manufacture Diag to test the hard drive to make sure it is ok:
    http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=seatools-win&vgnextoid=552bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

And codecs only need to be installed for each OS, not each hard drive.
  • edited May 2007
    Different files every time. New files, or old ones that I transfered from the other HDD. And once it has crashed once, it will also crash when I watch a movie file from my old harddrive.
    But if I restart my PC I can watch movies from my old harddrive for hours without it crashing. Only when I play a file from the second harddrive do things start to go wrong...

And I'll download that program and check, thanks.

~Edit~
    I can't instal that program. It says I need .NET framework 2.0 or greater. =(
  • edited May 2007
    Ok thanks, I installed them. And I ran the "Short basic test" on my new harddrive and it showed no problems.

What kind of thing am I looking for, and should I run something else besides "Short basic test"?
    edited May 2007
    If there is something else, a more thorough test, try running that. Basically any errors. Kinda sounds like your hard drive is having problems.

If it tests ok try testing your memory with Memtest86:
    http://www.short-media.com/articles/diagnose_with_memtest86
  • edited May 2007
    (Step 2: Creating a bootable floppy or CD. Creating an ISO, etc.)

It looks complicated. =o I guess maybe I'll look through that tomorrow when I'm not sleepy. Dont want to make any mistakes.

Any other ideas? Could this be because the jumper thingy is set on the wrong place on my old harddrive? My new Maxtor HDD is a slave to the old HDD. No pin = Slave for Maxtor. But my other harddrive doesn't have any sticker map showing where the pins go, so I just kept it at it's default location.
    edited May 2007
    Creating a bootable ISO means putting a floppy in and running the program and it will put all the correct files on the floppy (or CD) so that your computer can boot from it and run the Diag.

It could be the cable, it could be the memory, it could be ATA controller, it could be the port (I've had that happen once). Just trying to eliminate the easy ones first.
  • edited May 2007
    Ok my internet died a few days ago, so I didn't get around to testing that, but I'll try to do it tonight and I'll get back to you when I do. Thanks. =)