Noob folder question

edited June 2007 in Folding@Home
Hello, i have a p4 with hyper-treading should i be running two FAH instances?

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    yes
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited May 2007
    Stanford would say no, as they value the quicker turn around the advocate single instance single core, and HT ain't a true dual core.
  • edited May 2007
    Yea, i think i'm going to run one for now since i seem to have the same user id for both instances
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2007
    Yes you can.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited May 2007
    mmonnin wrote:
    Yes you can.
    You can have the same user name but the stanford id for each instance of folding has to be unique, so the -local flag would have to be used to get another id:D
  • edited May 2007
    I'm sorry there was some typo on the last reply I meant that i have the same user id for both instances
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited June 2007
    All of my Hyper-Thread boxes are running 2 instances of the no-nonsense XP version of FAH. You just have to set the second one to Machine ID 2 under advanced options during setup. Jack
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Yep... that's it. ID=1 and ID=2.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited June 2007
    SPIKE09 wrote:
    Stanford would say no, as they value the quicker turn around the advocate single instance single core, and HT ain't a true dual core.

Yeah, a misplaced desire- My 2.8GHz P4C has not missed a preferred deadline yet & has folded for almost 2 years. Truth is, 2 HT instances do each take a bit longer than a single one (understand that they are each sharing a piece of the same execution pipe of one core), but they will produce more than a single instance over the long run.

Vintage86 wrote:
    I'm sorry there was some typo on the last reply I meant that i have the same user id for both instances

Then I suspect that that you have one instance failing each time you restart- because they both can't run on the same core in that configuration if I understand this correctly. Also, each instance needs its own separate directory.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited June 2007
    Uh- I just had a thought: What version of the client are you running, Vintage86? I think all of our answers to you so far have assumed you are running the 5.04 "No nonsense" text-only console version.
  • edited June 2007
    Thanks for everyone help, everything is fine now. I used advmethod in F@H to straighten everything out.
This discussion has been closed.