Please help BSOD on laptop

edited May 2007 in Hardware
This laptop has 43 .dmp files since April. This last one came after a Windows auto update and restart. The computer would not restart but only in safe mode. I used system restore and it then booted. Soon after I got a BSOD that said STOP: 0x0000008e, 0xc0000005... The were multiple BSOD during the previous boot attempts but the were unreadable. Prior BSOD messages were not_greater_than_or_equal. I thought maybe the cpu was overheating, but it runs in safemode. I am trying noy to do a reinstall of windows if possoble.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2007
    Run at least one full pass of Memtest-86. :)
  • edited May 2007
    I did a memtest a few weeks ago. It found no problems. At the time the BSOD was saying IRQ_NOT_GREATER_THAN OR EQUAL( I think, it is hard to remember off the top of my head). I went in search of bad drivers but had no luck. I unistalled McAfee at that time and the problem did not go away completely but it seemed to lessen. Thank you. I have dmp files and event logs if that helps. I will double check memory to see it is seated.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited May 2007
    I would still do as Prof suggested and run Memtest (again). Something might have changed.

Could you provide some additional clarification as well? When you said the messages were unreadable, did you mean that the display was unreadable/corrupted- or that the messages passed by too fast to read? The distinction is important. Could you also provide the laptop make and model number?

Also, laptops get cranky when they overheat- how long have you had it and have you ever cleaned out the CPU heatsink? If there is a special video card, it may need a heatsink cleaning periodically as well. Running in Safe Mode does not stress either chip like normal mode does.
  • edited May 2007
    A BSOD flashes when attempting to boot, so it is unreadable because it is so fast. When a BSOD appears while using the computer it remains.

I have considered overheating. The laptop was in for service about 6 months ago so I assume it a cleaned then. I feel very warm air expel from the vent and hear a fan but I do not know if all fans work. This model does not show me the cpu temp. It is my daughter's laptop and she has used it on the carpet so it is possible that overheating is involved but we are also having the problem when using it on the counter or desk.

The laptop is about 18 months old. It is under warranty but I need to first determine if the problem is hardware or software. It seems run ok in safemode. My next solution is to reinstall windows. I have .dmp file and event logs if it is helpful. I ran antivirus in safe mode and found nothing.

Kindest regards,

Dave
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited May 2007
    Okay, thanks. I have to ask- did you run memtest again?

Note: You can stop the message so that you can read it by doing the following:

Click Start | Settings | Control Panel | System

Click on the Advanced tab, then under Startup and Recovery click the Settings button.

Uncheck the Automatically restart checkbox. This will hold the BSOD when it occurs and allow you to write down the full Code.

Under Write debugging information I recommend using the Small memory dump (64 KB) option. Also make note of the directory it is written to (should be like %SystemRoot%\Minidump).

If you get the "Windows has recovered from a serious error ..." dialogue after you reboot, DO SEND IT IN. This used to be a waste of clicking, but the feedback has recently become much more useful. It may give you some important information.

Do these things and let's take it from there :) .

Also, carpets are hell on LTs. I recommend using a pad or flat plate to put it on if the carpet is your preferred location.
  • edited May 2007
    I need to run a memtest. thanks
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Have you tried updating all of your drivers?
  • edited May 2007
    Yes, as far as I can tell. And I just put in the recovery disk to see what options are on there and it immediately starting reformatting so now I am stuck going down that road. Hopefully this will resolve the problem. We will see. Thank you for your help.

Kindest regards,

Dave