Question: Help would be appreciated...

Gadgetman53Gadgetman53 Alabama, U.S.
edited May 2007 in Hardware
Hey guys,
I am currently working on someone's computer and the problem is there is a virus causing a blue screen of death. I am going to backup their documents and reformat the drive. My problem is I cannot keep the laptop booted long enough to back up the documents. I have a USB to IDE converter, and My laptop recognizes this drive. I have done this before, but can not remember the procedure nor find it on google. I know I must apply ownership of this C drive, but how do I? any suggestions?

Thanks,
Gadgetman

Comments

• ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited May 2007
    in my computer, right click the entrire drive and choose properties. Secelte the security tab. click the Advanced button on the bottom right. It should open up the advanced security window. Click the Owner tab. select the administrator accoutn name you use for your computer. and check the box at the bottom to replace owner on subcontainers and objects. and yer done.
  • Gadgetman53Gadgetman53 Alabama, U.S.
    edited May 2007
    There is no security tab :(
    edited May 2007
    Are you using XP Pro or Home?
    edited May 2007
    Pro, SP2
    edited May 2007
    you might have to turn simple file shareing off. i remember that used to cause some problems like that.

open my computer, choose tools and folder options. on the view tab scroll all the way to the bottom and uncheck Use simple File Sharing.

see if that gives you a security tab.
    edited May 2007
    It does, and thank you so much!! I will back up these files later, I must go to work now... HAHA, But yes, I think I've got it from here!~ Thanks for your help!
    edited May 2007
    :D