Problem with LCD monitor

edited June 2007 in Hardware
I am running Windows XP, and my video card is NVIDIA GeForce2 Ultra.

I have a Samsung SyncMaster 570V TFT LCD monitor. I have owned it for several years now, and just in the past hour I have started to experience problems with it.

I was just surfing the internet when my monitor flickered, and the color quality drastically lowered. Whereas before it was crisp, it now hurts my eyes to look at the monitor for more than a couple minutes.

It's hard to explain exactly how it looks, because in some cases the colors seem dark and faded, but it also hurts my eyes like a bright light would.

I also notice grey lines a lot on the screen.

Example 1: When I highlight my text in this box, I see a grey line that extends across the screen, but it is only where my text is. I also notice different shades of it depending on how much text is there.

So when I highlight it, it looks like...

Line 1 *DARK GREY*"I have a Samsung SyncMaster..." *DARK GREY*
Line 2 *LIGHT GREY* "started to experience " *LIGHT GREY*
Line 3 No text, no gray
Line 4 *DARK GREY* "I was just surfing" *DARK GREY*

Example 2: There is also something happening when I open up smaller windows, like the Task Manager. At the top of the Task Manager, there are about 2 lines worth of dark grey that extends all the way across the screen, and when I move the task manager up and down on my screen, the grey will follow it exactly. On the bottom there is also a thin grey line as well.

So when I move the task manager, it's as if theres a shadow of it across the entire screen that moves in sync with it. It is very noticeable.

Any help would be appreciated with this, and if you have any questions I will answer as best I can. I am unsure if this is a monitor problem or video card problem, so even if you can just point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Swap in a new video card to check. It's more likely it's the video card.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2007
    Can you take a screenshot?
  • edited May 2007
    Here's some screenshots I took.
    ss1.JPG 98.3K
    ss2.JPG 163.9K
    ss3.JPG 132.8K
  • edited May 2007
    And one more to show how it looks when I move the Task Manager window.
    ss4.JPG 139.2K
    edited May 2007
    Hmm. Clean screenshots. It may be the monitor after all. Very peculiar for one to degrade so severely so suddenly.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2007
    Yeah looks clean here. If it was the video card it would show up on the screenshot.
  • edited May 2007
    I bought a new monitor today, and it doesn't look as bad but I can still notice some grey lines.

I have adjusted the screen resolution from the previous monitor(old was 15 inches, new is 19), but is there anything else I should try to do as far as settings, ect?
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Just as a "lark", can you replace your video cable between the tower and the monitor to see what you get?
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    You might want to run test-monitor. (now I can't find the link to it)
    This can be a big help in adjusting the settings.

Does your old LCD had DVI input? Can you have someone with a newer video card set is up DVI? It may be the A/D in old monitor that went, but it might be miss behaving because the video card output has slipped.
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    As a follow-up to what I said earlier, no joke, try to swap out the cable between the monitor and the tower to see if it makes any difference. Not to get to scary here with an explanation, but..........The image we see on a monitor screen is what the cable sends to the monitor and not necessarily what the video card is sending. Does that make sense? When we take a "screen capture", we are capturing what the video card is "making available" not what the monitor is showing. What the monitor shows is what actually comes through the cable not necessarily what is coming out of the video card itself. This could explain why your screen captures are clear when posted here, but not what you see on the two monitors you have tried at home. GL!
  • edited May 2007
    I got a new video card and it fixed the problem with the grey lines, however things seem a bit choppy now.

If I am online and try to scroll down, it is like there is a wave starting at the top of the screen that goes through the bottom, and it takes about a second or two to update the screen. If I scroll up, it's the opposite and it slowly updates the bottom of the page and works its way up.

When I try to move a window across the screen it is the same way, and will only load a portion of the window at a time.
    edited May 2007
    You need to install the drivers for your new card.
  • edited May 2007
    Thanks for the help. All the previous problems have been resolved, but.. of course, there is now another :rolleyes:

Everytime I try to play a video(I've tried both WMP and RP), my computer will all but freeze.

When I tried to play videos(both different, so its not the specific video file) on WMP, everything slows down and the video is never able to fully load. It is like my computer is continiously trying to refresh or load something.

When I open task manager after I have attempted to load a video file, the outline of it will slowly appear(two lines at the top, then two at the bottom) before showing the full screen.

In the task manager the names of the programs will disappear for a moment before quickly reappearing one by one. The buttons and page title at the top of FireFox will do the same. Because the task manager is repeatedly 'reloading', it doesn't give me a chance to even click the "End Task" button.

If it matters, I was able to play an audio file on WMP earlier.

I'm not sure if this is related to the video card/monitor situation or not, but I have installed both the monitor and video card drivers. Before getting the new monitor and card, I never had any problems watching videos on my computer.
  • edited May 2007
    As a followup, I think it may be a codec problem, but I don't know how to go about fixing it.

I tried opening another file in WMP and it worked. Then tried another and it froze like I explained before.

That makes 3 WMP files that freeze, 1 that works.
    edited May 2007
    Get divx: www.divx.com
    XVID: www.koepi.org
  • edited May 2007
    DIVX didn't seem to do the trick.

I tried turning my hardware accelerator to the lowest setting, and the videos seemed to work. Is there anything I can do to make it work on a normal setting?

My video card is GeForce 6200.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Did you also get XVID?
  • edited May 2007
    I downloaded and installed XVID, but I don't know how to use it(or if it works automatically after installation). I didn't notice a difference after downloading that program either.
  • edited May 2007
    Still looking for help.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2007
    Try downloading and using VLC Media Player It is extremely easy to use and works with pretty much all types of media files. It is just like old school Media Player.