Sabayon and XP not playing nice

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited May 2007 in Hardware
Ok, a long while ago I installed sabayon, but it never showed up in the windows boot loaded so I just thought screw it. Well, tonight I was copying some files and my computer just rebooted all of the sudden. When it rebooted it loaded the GRUB bootload and started booting sabayon. Well hell.

So when it offers the choice of OS's to boot I hit other and it says ntldr missing...yadda yadda yadda. I know everything is just fine.

How can i either get the windows boot loader to run again instead of grub, or ad my windows install to grub. I'm lost and in need to be on windows.

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Does GRUB show Windows in its boot list or just 'Other OS?'

If you want to dump GRUB, you should be able to run 'fixboot' from the Windows CD Recovery Console.

-drasnor :fold:
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    ^What he said.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    it shows 'other os' and I already tried fixboot, but I think that somehow the linux partition got set to primary for some reason. Which isn't all that bad. I like sabayon, I would just like to be able to boot to XP.

I think I found what to add to the grub.conf file, but I have to be logged on as root in order to change it. and I can't figure that out.
    edited May 2007
    You can access grub.conf on your hard disk by booting from any Linux LiveCD such as a Gentoo minimal install CD or Knoppix. You might also want to set your root password at that time unless you have Sabayon configured to use sudo.

edited May 2007
    so I can't change the conf file while running sabayon?

I'm just getting everything kinda sorta figured out in bsd or whatever this is technically called. i actually like it better than windows, if it only had the same application support.
    edited May 2007
    Sabayon is Linux. Yes, you can change the conf file from within Sabayon, but as you said you need root access and you indicated that you can't log in as root (I implied this meant you don't know your own root password) nor did you indicate a working sudo configuration.

What do you mean by application support?

edited May 2007
    photoshop, indesign, illustrator. The three main programs that I use when I am actually using my computer for work.also a lot of other little odd and end programs that I use for varios. such ad FairUse4WMA, napster, and twonkyVision.

Well, I managed to get myself booting back into windows. The sabayon install was hodge podged on as a second thought anyway. When I build my new computer in late august I will ask for some advice on how to actually dual boot correctly. For now I'm back into windows and I can get my work done so I'm happy.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    What about Ubuntu Studio?
    edited May 2007
    I have to use the industry standard because the things that I make go out to people and places that it is of utmost importance that they be able to view/modify the files if needed. I'm locked into adobe, not that I'm complaining. I really like the suite.
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited May 2007
    i currently have sabayon installed as well, Windows is NOT missing from the bootloader, it says "other os" whenever i choose other os it just boots into windows, so thats what i use... i dont think i am picky enough to waste my time changing "other os" to say "windows xp" so ive just always left it like that.

lol