Sound issue - advice wanted!

osaddictosaddict London, UK
edited May 2007 in Hardware
I have a new Dell machine - E520 - its widely publicised on the Dell forums and elsewhere that the Line-in on the sound card provided by this machines mobo does not currently function - dell are 'working on a new driver' and it should be out in 'a couple of weeks' - I've heard this kinda thing before...

So... I thought that buying a dedicated sound card and installing that would eliminate my line-in problems - and probably give me an upgrade in sound at the same time.

Firstly - would installing a new (vista compatible) sound card such as : Click enable me to use line in and remove the current problems the onboard sound has?

If so - is this just a case of disabling the onboard sound in the bios on boot, powering down, wacking the card in - powering up - and seeing what vista makes of it - and then perhaps installing some drivers?

I'm desperate to start encoding vinyl again!

Comments

• adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Yes, that should be a viable solution. However, just remember to disable on-board sound in the bios and install the new drivers for your new sound card. However, the mere existance of "old" sound card drivers may cause issues especially with Creative products. You may need to uninstall the on-board sound drivers as well. Try it and see. GL!