Computer turns itself off

edited May 2007 in Hardware
My computer likes to turn itself off out of the blue. I believe it is a hardware problem because it's not rebooting, it's just turning itself off and flicking back on again. It's almost like when the power goes out in the house for a second, only not.

My processor is AMD Opteron 144 (1.80 GHz)
1.0 GB DDR RAM (Crucial Ballistix 512MBX2)
ASUS A8N-E Motherboard
Enermx power supply (420)
I think it's my power supply, not sure..I went into my bios and there's a lot of different voltages listed, not sure what they all mean so I'll list them all.

VCore voltage - 1.40V
3.3V Voltage - fluxuates between 3.29 and 3.31V
5VF voltage - 5.08V
12V voltage - 12.09V

Also, I thought it could be the RAM. The friend who helped me put this computer together had the RAM overclocked (I didn't know til I checked) but I've returned it to the AUTO settings. Could my RAM be damaged? If so....darn it.

Thanks!

And while I'm here I might as well ask what a safe temp for my computer is. This was listed in my BIOS:
CPU temp - 40C
M/B temp - 55C

Target temp - 72C
:)

Comments

• adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Those voltages look okay so I am ruling out the PS for now. However, I think your RAM is suspect based upon your description of the problem. Try this and see what you get: Pull one stick of RAM and run your system for awhile on just 512MB. If it turns off like before, remove that stick and put the other one back in. Run the system some more and see what you get. If it behaves, you know you have a bad stick and which one it is. OR .............you could run memtest 86+ using one stick at a time and see what RAM errors you get if any. GL!

P.S. The above is assuming the RAM you have IS compatible with your motherboard.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    This wouldn't happen to be a Gateway by chance...?
  • edited May 2007
    This wouldn't happen to be a Gateway by chance...?
    No my computer is entirely self-built.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2007
    What do you mean by target temp 72C? Nothing should be that high in a computer, ever.

If you think its a memory problem, run memtest86:
    http://www.short-media.com/articles/diagnose_with_memtest86

Those voltages are quite ok. Nothing wrong there.
  • edited May 2007
    did you check if power cables were seated correctly?
  • edited May 2007
    After using memtest I think it's the RAM... Too bad. I was just told that if I send my RAM into Crucial they'll replace it (I mean it's not even a year old)
    Think that's true or am I SOL?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2007
    If there were any errors during memtest, the memory should be replaced.

Crucial has a lifetime warranty on all their DRAM products, you can get a replacement.