\windows\system32\config\system

edited May 2007 in Hardware
Hi. I have the same problem as previous posts in this forum but with an unfortunate twist. I am dependent on my laptop for work and am on a deadline but don't seem to be able to solve the problem which is this....

Each time I try to start my laptop, it gives me the following error message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt \windows\system32\config\system

All the solutions I have seen so far seem to involve using the original Windows disc to reboot the computer but the problem I have is that, long before the laptop crashed, the CD drive had stopped working.

I'm guessing that the following message which occurs during start-up is related to its inability to read the re-load CD.

mobile AMD Athlon(tm) XP1800+CPU
External cache: 256k installed
Checking Boot CD-Rom

No bootable CD could be detected

Please help!

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Ouch, that sucks, sorry man :(

Off the top of my head... these are what I see your options as:

A) Put the hard drive in another machine to fix it (screwdriver alert, a little complex), or
    B) Replace the CD drive ($$ and a screwdriver, but fairly easy if you can find the appropriate model), or
    C) Get a removable CD drive and use that ($$$, but by far the simplest), or
    D) Load Window from a big-enough USB flash drive (requires the drive, access to another computer... and someone else to explain it -- maybe a Google search -- because I've never done it, heh)

Unless someone pops in here with a better idea, let me know which way you want to go.