Athlon64 socket 754 CPU steppings

nonstop301nonstop301 51° 27' 24.87" N // 0° 11' 38.91" W Member
edited May 2007 in Hardware
Hello everyone,

I have an old socket 754 motherboard and I'm planning to get an Athlon 64 series CPU for it.

I have noticed that there are several steppings and I'm not sure which one is better in terms of overall performance and overclocking capability. I believe the stepping value indicates the core type of the processor and I have encountered E6, CG and C0 for the processor models that I'm interested in.

If someone here is familiar with Athlon 64 processors of the socket 754 family, I'd be very grateful for some stepping recommendations.

Many thanks once again for any suggestions you wish to provide.

Regards,

n301

Comments

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Hi there,

The cpu's are no longer in production and therefore, pretty hard to even find a desired stepping on. If i where in your shoes, i would sell the board and get a S939 if you want to stay with AMD or a ECS hybrid board for Core 2 Duo Intels that can take both DDR and DDR2, but not in dual channel though. You'll get far more cpu power out of that for the same money.
  • nonstop301nonstop301 51° 27' 24.87" N // 0° 11' 38.91" W Member
    edited May 2007
    Thanks for your response TheLostSwede.

I wasn't thinking of adding a better socket 754 processor in order to have a machine that's closer to the performance of the CPUs on sale today :)
    I do have another computer that I bought recently with dual core and DDR2 features, so for the socket 754 machine I just want to get an Athlon series CPU before they totally disappear from the online retailers as well :) At the moment I have a Sempron CPU on it which is working surprisingly well after a modest overclock but I have noticed that the prices of the few Athlon socket 754 CPUs that are still around are very low these days so I thought I might as well grab one.

Incidentally, I came across a very nice <a href="http://www.short-media.com/guidebooks/amd_oc"><b>Short-Media guide</b></a> on socket 754/939 CPUs that also offers a few details regarding the stepping values.