My dell doesn't boot anymore.

edited June 2007 in Hardware
Hey,

I have a dell which has a Pentium D 820 in it, I recently tried to run F@h on it and left it on for a couple of days but this morning it wouldn't boot. What do you think could had cause this? cpu overheated, powersupply, mobo?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    When you say boot, do you mean:

-No power
    -Doesn't POST
    -Won't load Windows

?

//EDIT: YAAARRRR YE LANDLUBBER I BE TROUBLESHOOTIN' YER ISSUES.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    If you don't get a peep out of it (no fans, nothing) then I would wager on cooked PSU.
  • edited May 2007
    The computer would start up but once it goes into windows loading screen it will restarts. Then I took the dell hard drive out and try to plug it into my main and the same thing happens even in safe mode. After that i tried to take my main hard drive and plug it into the dell, when i boot that up the windoews loads then i would a BSOD.
  • edited June 2007
    John here, customer advocate at Dell headquarters.

My guess would be if the problem is following the hard drive, the problem is on the hard drive. Since your other system does the same thing when you try to boot off the drive from your Dell, the first step would be a reinstallation of Windows. If that doesn't do it, the hard drive may be slag.

I wouldn't worry too much about the bluescreen you're getting while booting the Dell off the other hard drive. I'd guess it probably has something to do with the chipset drivers from your other machine causing an error when booting on the Dell machine.

John
    Dell Customer Advocate
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    DellCAJohn wrote:
    John here, customer advocate at Dell headquarters.

My guess would be if the problem is following the hard drive, the problem is on the hard drive. Since your other system does the same thing when you try to boot off the drive from your Dell, the first step would be a reinstallation of Windows. If that doesn't do it, the hard drive may be slag.

I wouldn't worry too much about the bluescreen you're getting while booting the Dell off the other hard drive. I'd guess it probably has something to do with the chipset drivers from your other machine causing an error when booting on the Dell machine.

John
    Dell Customer Advocate

John, welcome to Icrontic. It's a pleasure to see a representative from a Tier 1 OEM on our forum, and we hope you'll decide to stick around in the future. :)

//EDIT:

Vintage, John is probably right. If there's a bluescreen on the Dell drive while it's in the Dell computer, it may be time to back up your information and restore the PC, because you have a Windows problem. However, when you plug the Dell hard drive into another PC, you are guaranteed to have a blue screen. Windows installs what's called a HAL and a SYSTEM registry hive that's custom-tailored to the install of Windows you're using on a specific hardware combination. The HAL and the hive tell Windows what hardware you're running, and how best to use that hardware. If you take a hard drive containing a copy of Windows with a hive+HAL for your Dell, and put it in another computer, the Dell copy of Windows will freak out because it's seeing hardware it does not know how to talk to/is not configured for. Vice versa for the other PC's hard drive being installed on the Dell.

To rule out a hardware issue, please download, burn and run Hitachi's DFT program. The CD image makes a bootable disc you can start the PC with. When you're prompted, make sure you selected the "Advanced test." If the program finishes with codes that say "0x72" or "0x70" in a red box, it's time to get a new hard drive. If it PASSES in a green box, you can simply reinstall Windows from the Dell recovery CDs and go on your way.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    As Thrax said, welcome to Icrontic, John. Your response and presence here are much appreciated!
  • edited June 2007
    Thank you guys! We are making a concerted effort to find people who are having problems with our products on forums like yours and participate in the discussions, so you're sure to see more of me. Thank you for making me feel welcome!