8800GTS problems?

Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
edited June 2007 in Hardware
Hey guys,

This one is kicking my butt. So, recently while playing everquest II, I started to get artifacts. They became worse and worse. Now I can't play any game much longer then ten minutes and then the comp locks. I have tested my RAM with memtest, ran prime95, everything is running stock. I spoke with Evga tech support, their thoughts are that the PSU is not giving enough juice, or the card is bad. Trying to boil down the problem.

Ran 3DMark 06 and got a 4400. Last time I ran it I got a 10500. Pretty sure it is the video card, but I want to make sure.

P5B-Deluxe, Crucial Ballistix 4GB, E6600, Hiper 580W PSU, Evga 8800GTS.

Thanks,

Comments

• FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited May 2007
    Unless there is something wrong with your PSU, it's NOT the PSU.

I used to have the same PSU, and it ran a C2D E6300 @ 3.06, 2GB G-Skill PC6400, 1x10,000 RPM WD Raptor, 1x WD Caviar, DVD-RW, 5 case fans, 2 cold cathodes, and finally, a 7950 GX2, which uses about 20 watts MORE power at full load than the 8800 GTS. My money is on the card being bad.

~FA
  • Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
    edited May 2007
    Thanks for the quick reply. I with you on it being the video card. It sucks that I have to RMA the dumb thing.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Yarr! I use th' same supply o' power on me rig, which be the fastest galleon on two o' th' seven seas! She be 'avin' no issues with th' GTS, arrrrrrrr. :(
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    I have never seen a power supply cause a card to artifact... RMA the card :)
    edited May 2007
    Oh, I can guarantee you a PSU can and will cause a video card to artifact if it's underamping the GPU.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    I guess I just haven't seen it before :) Always use good PSU's :) lol
    edited May 2007
    Me too. I never would've known if it weren't for my job. All these people buying 7900-series cards on their 350 HP PSUs, just so they can play mind-numbingly rousing games of The Sims.
    edited May 2007
    Well guys,

I just received my replacement GTS from EVGA. The card is still doing the same thing. So now I am confused. However, I do have one lead. If I change the FSB on my P5B-deluxe whatsoever, I fail prime in about two seconds. I have all of my bios settings to stock.

Second possibility is the PSU. How do I go about testing the PSU, to see if it is the culprit.

Thanks
    edited May 2007
    My question is this:

On the HiPer, there are three 12v rails. One uses the two-pin modular connector, one uses the three pin, and one uses the four-pin modular. You can see these pins on the sockets for the power supply cables. Did you carefully make sure that the GTS is the only one on one of these rails?
    edited May 2007
    I will double check. I didn't have a problem at all for a long time until now. I did however had some very large fans and also the adapter to make 4-pin to 8. I will check tonight and let you know.
    edited May 2007
    Well,

I checked the PSU last night to make sure I had everything connected correctly. I did. I bought a new board last night. An EVGA 680i SE. We will see if this fixes it. If not, I have a motherboard that I need for my brothers build. So here we go.

Radio91P
    edited June 2007
    Well,

I just installed the new Mobo, the EVGA 680i SE. The system is running a lot better now. It was the mobo. If I hadn't screwed the warranty I would send it back to ASUS. Oh well, I will find some use for it. I must say that I absolutely love this board. The bios is awesome.