Failed notebook drive...Options??

FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
edited May 2007 in Hardware
I have a customer's slightly old (2003) Gateway laptop right now.

The problem with it was that inside Windows, or anything else that used the hard drive, everything ran extremely slowly. Loading Windows from post to completely loaded desktop took around 30 minutes, meanwhile the drive was thrashing the whole time. Booting into ERD showed the same problem, anything that required hard drive use would take many minutes.

So I ordered a new drive, took the laptop and began the switchover process. I started by loading Ghost onto it to try and do a drive to drive copy of everything. MBR, files, settings...everything. About mid-way through it, the machine rebooted to an "Operating system not found..." message.

Installed the new drive, loaded XP Pro. Slapped the old drive into an ATA-6 external enclosure, and connected it up. Nothing, can't see the file structure or anything. At first it at least showed up in computer management as a 37GB drive, but now it doesn't even do that. The activity light on the enclosure pretty much stays on all the time, but nothing ever happens.

This is a corporate laptop with quite a bit of important information, e-mails etc. Also it had special domain settings, hence why I opted to ghost it instead of just copy files.

I've pretty much gone through everything I can think of to get this failed drive to work but without success. Anyone have any ideas as far as things to try?

Thanks
~FA