Stumped with Abit AN8-SLI

GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
edited May 2007 in Hardware
I'm working on a PC that won't boot. In fact not a darn thing happens when the power button is pressed. I also tried jumpering across the power pins and it didn't boot that way either, so it's not a faulty power button.

The system uses an Abit AN8-SLI motherboard. I have tried all normal troubleshooting routes short of replacing components. I've reseated everything and then attempted to boot with a bare configuration (mobo, CPU, RAM, video, and PSU only), and cleared CMOS a few times. Nothing at all elicits a response from the machine. I don't even get the usual whir-then-shutdown of a single fan spinning up.

The motherboard acknowledges that it has power. The LEDs light up, and the hex LED display says "F." - not a second digit as you'd expect. I can't find anywhere what this F. code alone means, although it seems to be an error code, because posts I've read state that the LED readout should read 0.0 to signify that the mobo is ready to boot.

I'm stumped as to what to do next. Are there any suggestions?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    You've taken it out of the case and run it on wood/cardboard?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Unplug all power connections from the board, remove battery, move jumper to clear CMOS position and leave for minimum 1 hour...if you have the time/patience...go for 10 - 12 hours (or just overnight).

Test PSU using jumpstart method:

Disconnect the PSU from everything (wall, mobo, etc) ...then plug the unit back into the wall socket and connect a couple hard drives to a molex connector to provide a load.
    Now....with the switch on the back of the PSU in the off position...locate the Dark Green wire in the ATX connector and using a paper clip (or something similar) "jump it" to any of the black wires in the connector....Now flip the switch on the back to On.......the PSU should start up and run.
    Pictures of the jumpstart are here: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5577

Test CPU in other system if available, along with ram.

When you are done with the long CMOS clear, use just 1 stick of ram in the slot closest to the CPU.

That is all for now :)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    You've taken it out of the case and run it on wood/cardboard?

No bench test yet. I was intending on doing so as a last resort, but it seems that I'm close to that point already.
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Unplug all power connections from the board, remove battery, move jumper to clear CMOS position and leave for minimum 1 hour...if you have the time/patience...go for 10 - 12 hours (or just overnight).

Test PSU using jumpstart method:

Disconnect the PSU from everything (wall, mobo, etc) ...then plug the unit back into the wall socket and connect a couple hard drives to a molex connector to provide a load.
    Now....with the switch on the back of the PSU in the off position...locate the Dark Green wire in the ATX connector and using a paper clip (or something similar) "jump it" to any of the black wires in the connector....Now flip the switch on the back to On.......the PSU should start up and run.
    Pictures of the jumpstart are here: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5577

Test CPU in other system if available, along with ram.

When you are done with the long CMOS clear, use just 1 stick of ram in the slot closest to the CPU.

That is all for now :)

Thanks, I can give most of that a shot. Unfortunately I don't have another socket 939 system available to test the CPU in, but I can manage everything else. Is there any danger to the componentry from jumping the PSU?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Nay lad, there be no danger! AVAST!
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2007
    I've never had to clear CMOS for more than a few seconds, never any of the 1 hour/days BS. I usually dont even unplug the power cable, turn off the PSU, or take out the battery (never have) on older boards and it has always worked fine for me. And besides most motherboards nowadays have work arounds for never having to use the jumper anymore.