Where in Vista is it?

WingaWinga MrSouth Africa Icrontian
edited May 2007 in Science & Tech
I want to transfer the e-mails and contacts from Outlook express on an XP machine to the the equivilent of Outlook express on Vista but just cant find the folder on Vista.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Vista uses Windows mail. It keeps a few different databases under C:\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail (I believe that's the right path).

Your best bet would be to just copy all the email out into a folder and drag it back into Windows Mail. I'm pretty sure that will work.
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Thanks. I don't have access to the PC right now but will see how it goes when I can get to it. I have the .dbx files in a folder on my flash drive and spent over a half hour trying to find the corresponding folder on Vista to transfer them but to no avail. At least now I have a path to follow :)
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, I had my first troubleshooting run-in with Windows Mail a couple weeks ago. Since I anticipate many more Vista issues arising, I installed it on my PCs at home to force myself to use it. I'm slowly learning all the new locations of things. It's a bit frustrating. C'est la Vie.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    More like C'est la Vista
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    More like C'est la Vista

EL OH EL
  • lsevaldlsevald Norway Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Heres how I did it, from Windows Mail in Vista:

File->Import->Messages->Microsoft Outlook Express 6->Import mail from an OE6 store drectory->Browse (point to folder where your old *.dbx files are stored)

Contacts:
    File->Import->Windows Contacts->Windows Adress Book File->Import->Error->Browse (find *.wab file)

EDIT: I just checked, and it seems Windows Mail uses the C:\Users\*your user name*\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail folder, but it doesn't seem to use the *.dbx format anymore, so I guess importing is your best bet.