No boot - Video card issue

edited May 2007 in Hardware
I have had this problem before, an AGP ati x1300 pro on a driver update suddenly stops booting. Clearing cmos, completely re-doing my power plugs, etc do not work. The GPU fan turns on, but the computer sits at a blank screen, does the "faulty video" motherboard beeps, and restarts to infinity.

The first time it happened, I submitted a ticket and eventually an RMA, waited 4 months and eventually had to email ATI and remind them about it. I received a completely new card of the same rev and brand shortly afterwards. Never did find out from them what was wrong with it.

Well now, a few months later, my warranty has run out and the exact same thing has happened again. I updated to the latest catalyst, restarted, and no video boot.

Just posting here to see if anyone has a solution, I'm thinking of switching to nvidia anyways :X

Comments

• edited May 2007
    Should this have been in a different forum? Its not exactly an emergency...
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2007
    Use the older drivers?

If its not broke dont fix it.
  • edited May 2007
    Well you see, the issue isn't involving drivers so much as... the video card itself will not boot.
    Drivers != Post

I should have been more clear, I meant that the computer won't POST into the bios with the video card installed, I've had to use an alternate.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Can you revert to the old driver to get it to work?
    edited May 2007
    The problem occured after you changed drivers....thats the problem....
    Format c: and use drivers you know work. Updating drivers isnt going to do much for that video card if anything at all.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Whoa, jeebus, just uninstall the new drivers and reinstall the old one before we jump to reformatting...
  • edited May 2007
    What are you all talking about? I could remove my hard-drive from my computer and still boot to the "insert disk" thing, THE PROBLEM is that my computer won't even get to the point at which it shows boot tables, you turn it on and its a black screen.

Nothing to do with drivers currently installed, nor can I reinstall the drivers with the card installed bc you can't even post let alone get into windows.

BTW right now I have ati drivers uninstalled and nvidia drivers installed anyways.
    edited May 2007
    Well lets see what you initially said...installed new drivers....and a problem occured. Looked like an easy solution espectially since you said it happened TWICE!
  • edited May 2007
    What I mean is that I installed new drivers and upon restarting the card burned out, I'm asking an admin to close this thread because nobody understands the concept of a boot table.

Thank you for your time but i'm sorry I asked.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited May 2007
    The words dummy, spit and out come to mind.
  • edited May 2007
    A boot table is the first sector of a file partition on a hard drive that tells the computer bios what to load when it starts up instead of asking you for a floppy disk.

If the computer can't turn on past being able to even load the bios settings page, like in my case with this card installed (without it installed and with another graphics card installed theres no problems).

I am unable to reinstall drivers with this card installed because it seems the computer gets stuck in an infinite reboot loop before the boot table is even queried.

I said drivers in my first post because that was the last thing that I did before I rebooted, and I thought it might be helpful to mention it, but faulty drivers are not the problem here. You keep telling me to reinstall drivers, and I think that this is a rather idotic suggestion seeing as computers do not even load drivers untill after the boot table is loaded, therefore since I cannot get to the boot table, drivers have nothing to do with the problem and hitherto reinstalling drivers would not help nor would formatting do anything beside give unnesicary headaches.
    edited May 2007
    Look at it from our perspective. What we see is..1) Computer working 2) Something changed(drivers) and then 3) Computer does not boot. ....Only seems logical for the first thought to be the ONE thing that was changed to be the problem.

If you can see 'insert disk' thing then its not the video card's problem as it is still working. Then you say in the next line its a black screen. Which is it?
  • edited May 2007
    OK, then lets clear that up, Video card goes in, power dongle (that has been tested for power)goes on, case closes, computer turns on.. wait no video, INFINATE RESTART LOOP.